Main Menu

Prime Minister BoJo It Is.

Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2019, 02:57:21 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2019, 02:44:11 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2019, 02:34:46 PM
That article mostly reads to me that BoJo doesn't really intend to try at all to avoid No-Deal Brexit, sounds like he'll make noise about it but that his actual cabinet is primarily focusing on preparing for the mechanics No Deal Brexit, which I think reveal that is his real goal now. Having not followed the constitutional machinations closely, does No Deal Brexit happen automatically on 10/31? Or does Parliament still have to have some sort of affirmative vote before it occurs.

Several journalists are betting on him gunning for no deal not because he wants it, but because Parliament will block it from happening, which will "force his hand" to call a general election.

With him being viewed disfavorably by 58% of the country already, how is a general election to his or his party's benefit?

IDK. It's quite possibly people grasping at straws. They had great stalling with the Tory election, now a great further stalling could be achieved by a general election.

Iormlund

A General Election only helps the Tories if Brexit is over and Farage is no longer splitting their vote in two.

My hunch is that Boris will try to save the party by going for No-Deal and trying to paint it as the EU's fault.

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on July 25, 2019, 03:37:33 PM
and Farage is no longer splitting their vote in two.

Thank you for that mental image.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: HVC on July 25, 2019, 02:48:26 PM
at this point does it matter what parliament wants? I thought the EU was kicking them out at that deadline?
The EU does not kick Britain out. Britain invoked Article 50 and set the process in motion to leave. Considering the previous extension that means at 31st October all primary and secondary law of the EU will no longer apply to the UK. That is the direct consequence of the UK's action, not of EU action. The UK has a unilateral right to abort the process. Parliament could force government to do that.

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on July 25, 2019, 03:37:33 PM
My hunch is that Boris will try to save the party by going for No-Deal and trying to paint it as the EU's fault.
That's clearly already happening.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2019, 02:50:44 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 25, 2019, 02:24:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2019, 01:35:25 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 25, 2019, 11:49:36 AM
Narrow? Y'all did vote "Leave", remember.

hardly in numbers that would justify a characterization as "Y'all" if I am understanding US slang correctly.

Clearly you aren't.

If you are going to use regional slang it is only polite to explain it to him -_-

Anyway it just means a plural you. If there is just one person then you say 'ya'.

How ya doin'?

vs.

How y'all doin?

But it is not really a contraction of "you all".

Learned something, I thought it meant you all.  As in all of the people being referred to.  How does one interpret the subset of y'all when a group is being referred to?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2019, 05:19:28 PM
Learned something, I thought it meant you all.  As in all of the people being referred to.  How does one interpret the subset of y'all when a group is being referred to?

"Y'all" is singular.  "All Y'all" is plural.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

By default no deal happens October 31st.
There's been a lot of talk about BJ purposefully closing parliament before this so parliament can do nothing about it and it happens.

It is 100% still within the UK's power to unilaterally cancel Brexit. But our MPs are cowards who care more about their jobs than the country so...   

May's deal is also still officially there and ready to be signed I think. Though I have to say I half expect some European nation to veto it if BJ goes down that route. Which he won't.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

"All y'all", as grumbler said.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 25, 2019, 05:34:59 PM

Except for when y'all is used as a plural.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2019, 05:58:48 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 25, 2019, 05:34:59 PM

Except for when y'all is used as a plural.

Or when all y'all is used as a singular.

Face it, people who use the word "y'all" or the phrase "all y'all" are not people who know or care about grammar.  Like "you," meaning has to be sussed out by context.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I obey very concise rules for the usage of y'all....y'all -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

In this case, it's both a singular(Britain) and a plural(the British), but obviously isn't a claim of unanimity.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

98 days to Brexit, so what happened today, parliament broke up for it's six week (42 day) summer holiday.   :bowler: <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Plenty of time to accept May's deal.