Main Menu

Prime Minister BoJo It Is.

Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on June 13, 2019, 12:55:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 10:41:35 AM
I'm not much of a Trump supporter...

Sure, you're not.  I think everyone here believes that.

Not. Go ahead and keep denying it, but your every other action and word screams the truth:  you ARE a trump supporter.

:hug:  I'm actually okay with you and Berkut and some others thinking I'm a Trump supporter.  I do care what some of the rest think about me, so I feel like I have to respond to things like this from time to time.

There are some Trump policies I support, and others I oppose.  I find pretty much every aspect of his character off-putting.  I'm more than a little embarrassed that he's our president, and I've made it well-known here that I'd much prefer Pence.  But while I'm not a supporter, I'm not sure I'd consider myself in the opposition (or better yet, the RESISTANCE :lol:) either.  It's just that I don't hate the guy with this weird passion that sets me apart from most of you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Can you articulate why you think Boris would make a good PM?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

No, I'm inarticulate as you know.

Seriously though-- I'm not sure what you're asking me for.  I agree with most of his policy positions that I know about, and I think it's about time they had an actual conservative at the head of the Conservative Party.

Is it the Brexit thing that bugs you?  Am I supposed to be opposed to Brexit?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

The problem with BoJo (but also all the candidates) is that they all seem to be promising to renegotiate the Brexit deal - which is something that the EU says it will not do.  Nobody has a very convincing answer on how they'll make the EU change its mind.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

Zanza

I guess it is good if an outspoken Brexiteer has to take responsibility for the damaging policy they enacted over the last years. Of course, Johnson and his supporters will blame EU, May, Labour etc. for the failure of their signature policy, but in the end, the Brexiteers will finally be in charge and will have to solve the mess they created instead of just sniping from the sidelines.

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 01:19:20 PM

Seriously though-- I'm not sure what you're asking me for.  I agree with most of his policy positions that I know about, and I think it's about time they had an actual conservative at the head of the Conservative Party.

If you want to play the martyr, be my guest. I will just note that, at every opportunity to provide reasons you support the guys you do, you demur or speak in extreme vagueness.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 01:14:34 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 13, 2019, 12:55:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 10:41:35 AM
I'm not much of a Trump supporter...

Sure, you're not.  I think everyone here believes that.

Not. Go ahead and keep denying it, but your every other action and word screams the truth:  you ARE a trump supporter.

:hug:  I'm actually okay with you and Berkut and some others thinking I'm a Trump supporter.  I do care what some of the rest think about me, so I feel like I have to respond to things like this from time to time.

There are some Trump policies I support, and others I oppose. 

That is weak. That is true of literally every single President there ever is, ever was, and ever will be - even if it is just a numbers game, IE, he has MORE policies that I support, then you are just saying "He is a Republican, I am a Republican, so I support him".

Which, BTW, is exactly why those of us who laugh at your feigned "not support but totally support" stance - you absolutely support him. He is as horrible a human being as we can imagine, but he is a "Republican" and more importantly he is a "Not Liberal" so he can grab as much pussy as he wants, and you will dutifully march in the oh so reluctant rally for MAGA.

You have no principle or integrity beyond "My party, right or wrong". That is what "There are some policies I support...." means.

You are a Trump supporter, just not a very brave one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2019, 02:38:06 PM

If you want to play the martyr, be my guest. I will just note that, at every opportunity to provide reasons you support the guys you do, you demur or speak in extreme vagueness.

I guess I just don't understand how much detail you need here and why you need it.

Zanza

27 out of 313 supported Dominic Raab. I question the sanity of these 27 if they seriously believe that this imbecile is the right person to lead the UK in this time of crisis.

Admiral Yi

Bucky McSensible only has 5 MPs according to the Economist.  (Probably out of date info at this point.)

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 02:43:15 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2019, 02:38:06 PM

I guess I just don't understand how much detail you need here and why you need it.

Some reason for us to believe your claim that you are not a Trump supporter, when your actions are consistently identical to a MAGA wearing Trump supporter....except that now and again you throw in a "I am not a Trump supporter...really!!!".

If you don't care if we think that or not, you sure do seem reluctant to just own it. So apparently you do in fact care.

And when someone asks you to reconcile, you retreat to "Well, why do you need to know that?" We don't need to know - we already know. *You* need to convince us we are wrong, which you consistently decline to even attempt beyond assertion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on June 13, 2019, 02:41:38 PM

That is weak. That is true of literally every single President there ever is, ever was, and ever will be - even if it is just a numbers game, IE, he has MORE policies that I support, then you are just saying "He is a Republican, I am a Republican, so I support him".

Which, BTW, is exactly why those of us who laugh at your feigned "not support but totally support" stance - you absolutely support him. He is as horrible a human being as we can imagine, but he is a "Republican" and more importantly he is a "Not Liberal" so he can grab as much pussy as he wants, and you will dutifully march in the oh so reluctant rally for MAGA.

You have no principle or integrity beyond "My party, right or wrong". That is what "There are some policies I support...." means.

You are a Trump supporter, just not a very brave one.

So far, there has been one meaningful moment when we have been able to support or not support Trump: the election in 2016. Derspeiss said he did not vote for Trump (he voted third party). So far as I know, Derspeiss hasn't announced or decided who he will vote for in 2020.

I don't think he has contributed money or campaigned to Trump, or a candidate running against Trump.

Now perhaps he is lying and he really voted for Trump. Perhaps the derspeiss persona is all a fraud and he doesn't really have a wife and kids, and he is really a gay Cleveland Browns fan trying to discredit the Cincinnati Bengals. Who knows. But if we take him at his word, he isn't much of a Trump supporter, if he is at all.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2019, 12:41:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 10:38:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2019, 09:23:42 AM
I know the hair styles are close enough,

:rolleyes:

Quotebut apart from that, why?

I've always liked Boris.  I've found myself agreeing with him a lot more often than not.  He'd be the first Tory PM since Major that I could enthusiastically support.

He's certainly an amusing fellow, which gives him a certain amount of good will.  Still not sure I'd actually support him.

Holy crap BB what possible reason would there be to support him other than he has a Big C in the name of the party he will lead. Is that good enough for you?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2019, 03:42:40 PM
Holy crap BB what possible reason would there be to support him other than he has a Big C in the name of the party he will lead. Is that good enough for you?

If BoJo wins the leadership, his opponents will be Nigel Farage and Jeremy Corbyn.  That sounds like a rather easy decision.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.