Author Topic: Podcasts you like  (Read 12539 times)

Habbaku

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Mussoloony
Re: Podcasts you like
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2019, 09:49:42 am »
Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History Podcast (http://revisionisthistory.com/) just started a new season. The first two episodes were a really good listen--they cover the logic (or lack thereof) behind testing for speed on standardized tests in general and the LSAT in particular.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2019, 12:49:53 pm »
In the latest episode of "Emperor's of Rome" they were discussing middle republic literature.  They were discussing Ennius; whose works exists only in fragments.  Cicero discusses the dream of Mars; which the commentators said sounded quite modernistic as it's unclear from his quoting if Ennius had written a prophetic dream or an event that occurred.  Another fragment we have of Ennius is that he was Homer reborn with an intermediate life as a peacock; which the commentators found psychedelic.

Of course even professors of classical studies (as these commentators were) view the classical world from the perspective of the early twenty-first century (and being a peacock is certainly no weirder than what's found in "The Golden Ass" or Ovid's "Metamorphosis").  Still "Psychedelic Rome" struck me as amusing.

Another plug for the Literature and History podcast - he is going through Roman literature now.  There are a number of episodes devoted to that topic now.

Barrister

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2019, 12:59:34 pm »
I've started listening to podcasts on my way home from work.  Now during the winter I have a couple of different hockey podcasts I won't bore anyone with.

But I want to put a plug in for The Bulwark podcast by Charlie Sykes.  The Bulwark is an explicitly #NeverTrump conservative webpage that was formed out of the ashes of The Weekly Standard when its owner decided he didn't like owning an anti-Trump website anymore.  Charlie Sykes was a conservaive radio talk show host in Milwaukee for years and years, until the 2016 election broke him and he realized he didn't understand his own audience anymore.

So anyways, it's a daily podcast about american politics all from a right-wing anti-Trump perspective.  I like it because it re-assures me that there are other people who view politics the same way as I do in this age of Trump.  And Sykes, what with his decades of radio hosting experience, is a very smooth podcast host.

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2019, 04:29:24 pm »
Any good yank sports podcast besides Bill Simmons? Preferably not baseball-centric, since I don't care for baseball.

Barrister

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2019, 11:33:21 pm »
Any good yank sports podcast besides Bill Simmons? Preferably not baseball-centric, since I don't care for baseball.

As mentioned above I know some Canadian-based hockey podcasts if you're interested... :whistle:

grumbler

• Blessed by Valmy
  • I'll sleep when I'm dead
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2019, 06:16:22 pm »

The Steve Austin Show isn't a sports podcast, but it often features sports (especially wrestling) and is a fun listen even if you (like me) couldn't care less about wrestling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Savonarola

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
  • WEREWOLVES BUILT MY PRIUS!
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2019, 02:10:12 pm »
I was listening to a 2016 era episode of Bret Easton Ellis's podcast (about popular culture and the entertainment industry.)  At the time of recording Bret was dating a 29 year old man.  Bret made his boyfriend watch "Dog Day Afternoon."  His boyfriend said, in amazement, "They used to show movies like this in the theaters?"
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
  • WEREWOLVES BUILT MY PRIUS!
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2019, 04:09:46 pm »
I was listening to Fallo de Sistema in which they had an interview of John and Brenda Romero.  They said they had gotten offers to do a reality show of them similar to "The Osbournes."  They both thought that watching video game designers work would be really boring television.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock