News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

POG on Vassal

Started by Saladin, June 13, 2019, 04:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saladin

So, a year or two ago I spent some time playing Paths of Glory via the Vassal app but due to reasons I had to quit playing.

I'm getting hungry again for some WW1 action, anyone up for a game?
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Habbaku

Presumably via e-mail or something, and not live?

Why not use Cyberboard and ACTS (http://acts.warhorsesim.com/pog.asp)?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2019, 09:30:48 AM
Presumably via e-mail or something, and not live?

Why not use Cyberboard and ACTS (http://acts.warhorsesim.com/pog.asp)?

Yeah, if you're not doing it live, CB and ACTS is the easier play.  If you go that route, I'm happy to play.

Saladin

Cool. I'll look it up. :)
So you have to use both Cyberboard and ACTS?
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Habbaku

Yes, Cyberboard maintains the map while ACTS handles all the cards and dice-rolls. Using them in tandem is very, very common across a lot of different games.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Saladin

Hmm.

I prefer to just have one place to play the game. I'll look into it. But I'm playable on Vassal because you can PBEM with it too.  :)

Are you game Berkut?

Berkut

I am game. But what we are trying to say is that it is actually easier to PBEM with Cyberboard than Vassal.

At least, in our opinion.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Saladin on June 14, 2019, 01:57:48 AM
Hmm.

I prefer to just have one place to play the game. I'll look into it. But I'm playable on Vassal because you can PBEM with it too.  :)

Are you game Berkut?

It's basically correspondence chess, ergo much faster.

e.g I have my hand in ACTS, I want to play a 2 OPS card, I want to entrench in Koblenz and I want to activate the German 1st and 2 armies and move them to Brussels. I just do a move in my own cyberboard copy, and when I play the card used for the activation in ACTS, in the comments I write something like:

1/2 M GE1, GE2 Liege ->Brussels
2/2 Entrench Koblenz

This way you don't need to send a file around, everyone can follow the steps on their own copy, and because of the format (at least that's how I remember the format) if your file (or your opponent) got out of synch you'll notice (for example if you don't have GE1 and 2 at Liege), and you can check the log to clear it up. But that almost never happens.

Then in this example turn, after posting that, I'd make a die roll in ACTS, which would be e-mailed to my opponent. With the comment of the roll, I'd write "entrenching at Koblenz"

It would not be an issue with you and Berkut of course, but normally when playing a stranger this would also have the advantage of your opponent not being able to keep rolling in Cyberboard until they get the result they want.

Saladin

@Tamas
I get it now, I thought that I would need to send both my Cyberboard file and deal with ACTS.

Berkut

If you have an ACTS login, let me know what it is and I would be happy to setup a game.

0 rows returned

Saladin

@Berkut

Sorry for going AWOL, lots of stuff in IRL. But as soon as I get some breathing space for gaming I'll let you know! :)