The Hong Kong Crisis

Started by mongers, June 12, 2019, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Any word from Mono on what is happening here isn't what you think?:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-48591001

Hong Kong extradition: Police fire rubber bullets at protesters

12 June 2019 

Police have fired rubber bullets and tear gas at protesters in Hong Kong where anger at a new extradition bill has spilled over into violence.

Protesters have blocked key roads around government buildings and threw bricks and projectiles at police.

The government is still pushing for the bill which would allow extradition to mainland China and it is expected to pass its final vote on 20 June.

But the Legislative Council (LegCo) has now delayed its second reading.
Follow live: Hong Kong protesters and police face off

The pro-Beijing LegCo said Wednesday's scheduled meeting would instead be held at an unspecified "later time".

This is the first time rubber bullets have been used in Hong Kong for decades. 22 people have been injured so far but none are said to be critical.

What's happening?

Protests had been largely peaceful as thousands of protesters took to the streets and attempted to block access to government buildings ahead of the scheduled debate of the bill.

But on Wednesday, the demonstrations escalated, with tear gas, rubber bullets and non-lethal "beanbag" rounds being fired as activists tried to storm government buildings.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

I think he is better off not commenting on it online, except maybe his total condemnation of the protest. If this escalates and a proper Chinese crackdown happens, who knows how they will want to filter out Enemies of the System

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2019, 06:23:17 AM
I think he is better off not commenting on it online, except maybe his total condemnation of the protest. If this escalates and a proper Chinese crackdown happens, who knows how they will want to filter out Enemies of the System

Yes, that's probably a wise assessment.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2019, 06:58:02 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 12, 2019, 06:51:11 AM
he's posting about it on his thread

OMG Teh Sanctitiy is brokened!!!!!111

never said were the tread was. i'm technically innocent. you on the other hand... :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 12, 2019, 07:05:44 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2019, 06:58:02 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 12, 2019, 06:51:11 AM
he's posting about it on his thread

OMG Teh Sanctitiy is brokened!!!!!111

never said were the tread was. i'm technically innocent. you on the other hand... :P

If it's not visible it can only be in place. :contract:

HVC

I also never said it wasn't visible, so could be in the main forum. Innocent again! :D

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Maybe I should lock/delete this thread in order not to risk the authorities sniffer around?

Even though his posts have been faultlessly neutral / on side with the power in the land.

garbon

What exactly are we planning to protect that is worth keeping safe?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2019, 05:51:13 PM
What exactly are we planning to protect that is worth keeping safe?

Mono  (this pension).

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?