News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Hong Kong Crisis

Started by mongers, June 12, 2019, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Extraordinary scenes from the centre of Hong Kong over the last couple of days, overnight the police tried to storm the Polytechnic university near the harbour tunnel.

Day break in HK now, many arrests made, injuries sustained by both sides, fires burning at the university and near tunnel entrance, not clear if police have full control as live video shows groups of activists in what appears to be university grounds/ outside buildings.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Archery club is proving their worth it seems.
Truly crazy stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

When China has crushed Hong Kong, I'm not sure things will just go back to business as usual. Hong Kong has always been a major gateway to mainland China and treated like a separate entity.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zoupa

These young protesters have balls of steel. A generation of Gavroches, fighting an unwinnable fight.

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on November 18, 2019, 12:19:13 PM
These young protesters have balls of steel. A generation of Gavroches, fighting an unwinnable fight.

Yeah it is pretty crazy. This is definitely the greatest revolutionary struggle of our time and it is almost assuredly doomed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2019, 12:41:24 PM

Yeah it is pretty crazy. This is definitely the greatest revolutionary struggle of our time and it is almost assuredly doomed.

I thought you were old enough to remember the failed Chinese revolution of 1989.  What's happening in HK is not really a revolutionary struggle like 1989 Beijing (which actually turned by the invading army for a week), it's more a massive protest without hope of causing change.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2019, 01:18:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2019, 12:41:24 PM

I thought you were old enough to remember the failed Chinese revolution of 1989.  What's happening in HK is not really a revolutionary struggle like 1989 Beijing (which actually turned by the invading army for a week), it's more a massive protest without hope of causing change.

My apologies for using "our time", my intention was to convey something that was currently occurring. Obviously there have been greater revolutionary struggles in our lifetimes such as the Arab Spring. But I think the difference is that those movements had a reasonable expectation of success.

If I had something that was technically incorrect, my apologies. I don't think that cancels out the sentiment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2019, 01:21:58 PM
My apologies for using "our time", my intention was to convey something that was currently occurring. Obviously there have been greater revolutionary struggles in our lifetimes such as the Arab Spring. But I think the difference is that those movements had a reasonable expectation of success.

If I had something that was technically incorrect, my apologies. I don't think that cancels out the sentiment.

Ah, the passive-aggressive defense of hyperbole.  Does that usually work out for you?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I don't think nearly 30 years ago counts as "our time".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2019, 01:46:53 PM

Ah, the passive-aggressive defense of hyperbole.  Does that usually work out for you?

Hilarious.

I'm off to get the popcorn.

Valmy

QuoteAh, the passive-aggressive defense of hyperbole.  Does that usually work out for you?

I don't know what you want from me grumbler.

Grey Fox

I don't quite remember '89. How was it a bigger revolutionary struggle than 2019 HK?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2019, 01:52:11 PM

Hilarious.

It's fucking tedious.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2019, 02:36:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2019, 01:52:11 PM

Hilarious.

It's fucking tedious.

Well there's that as well.

I was just being polite.  :bowler: