Main Menu

The Hong Kong Crisis

Started by mongers, June 12, 2019, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on August 14, 2019, 07:29:49 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 13, 2019, 04:52:46 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 13, 2019, 12:38:22 PM
Meanwhile our President sides with Beijing and against the American flag-waving protestors.  Disgusting.

We also recently had a nice minor spate of western corporations taking sides on geopolitical issues in the name of sales.  Always a bad sign.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/coach-givenchy-versace-t-shirt-controversy/index.html

I am more concerned that they mark London as simply being England.

I mean, what's in the rest of England that foreigners can't find anywhere else? :P

Zoupa

Valmy

I wish people would boycott them because they are shitty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Original Mulan was great. Mulan without songs? No, thanks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2019, 03:24:46 PM
the new Aladin had songs and it was shitty.
the new Lion King did not have so many songs as the first one and was okayish.
If there's a new Mulan out there without songs, vitrified HK or no vitrified HK, I'm going! ;)

(sorry, that was my 'Mono' moment :P )
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2019, 12:04:20 AM
the new Aladin had songs and it was shitty.
the new Lion King did not have so many songs as the first one and was okayish.

You got those backwards.

Syt

How shitty can Lion King be? It's Disney's highest grossing movie outside of the Marvel and Star Wars franchises.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2019, 03:24:46 PM
So they fixed it.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2019, 01:24:12 AM
How shitty can Lion King be? It's Disney's highest grossing movie outside of the Marvel and Star Wars franchises.

This is the corporate equivalent of keeping the alcoholic you know supplied with booze.  :lol:

Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/04/hong-kong-on-brink-of-recession-as-protests-and-trade-war-take-toll

QuoteHong Kong on brink of recession as protests and trade war take toll

Business activity shows sharpest drop since global financial crisis amid increasingly bleak outlook for territory

Hong Kong is on the verge of a recession as its private sector activity plunged to a decade-low in August amid an escalating trade war and its worst political crisis in decades.

The business survey, released on Wednesday, noted "the steepest deterioration in the health of the private sector since February 2009", adding that spreading pessimism had seen business confidence slump to its lowest on record.

Since early June, Hong Kong has been embroiled in its worst political crisis in decades. The waves of protests, sparked by the controversial extradition bill under which individuals can be sent to mainland China for trial, have entered their 13th week. Over the past three months, the protests have become a broader and increasingly violent anti-government movement as the animosity between demonstrators and police reaches boiling point.

Beijing sees the increasingly violent demonstrations as a direct challenge to its rule over Hong Kong and has accused "foreign hostile forces", particularly the United States and Britain, of fomenting unrest.

The survey, the IHS Markit Hong Kong purchasing managers' index (PMI), sank to 40.8 in August from 43.8 in the previous month. Any figure below 50 indicates contraction.

According to the survey, new business fell to its lowest rate in a decade, as orders from China declined at a record rate. Nearly half of survey respondents reported reduced Chinese demand, citing the ongoing US-China trade dispute, a sharp depreciation in the renminbi and large-scale protests as reasons.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Don't forget the strike that nobody is participating in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2019/sep/11/sovereign-bond-yields-trade-war-brexit-annuities-ecb-business-live?page=with:block-5d78b52e8f083106f45595aa#block-5d78b52e8f083106f45595aa

QuoteNEWSFLASH: Hong Kong's stock exchange has launched an audacious attempt to merge with the London Stock Exchange.

Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited is proposing to pay £29.6bn in cash and shares for the LSE.

It says that the merger would strengthen both businesses, and help them to offer new trading services across the globe.

It could help London pitch services to Chinese customer, and also "reinforce" Hong Kong's position as the gateway to mainland China (which has been threatened by recent protest, of course).

The offer comes just five weeks after the LSE announced its own deal - a surprise merger with data group Refinitiv (part of Thomson Reuters).

HKEX is now trying to crash the party -- saying its proposal (which isn't a full-blown takeover bid yet), is dependent on the Refinitiv deal collapsing or being rejected.

Josquius

The protestors have found a valuable new ally.

:lol:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

HK on the brink of a final showdown?  :unsure:

Activists are closing major roads and other infrastructure, building barricades and preparing for police attempts to take control of universities.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"