News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Started by Syt, June 06, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Made by Larian, the guys behind the Divinity series:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/06/baldurs-gate-3-announced-from-the-creators-of-divinity-original-sin/

I guess I have to finish BG1 and play 2 at some point, then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

BG2 was amazing. Probably still is pretty good, though eclipsed.

I look forward to more of this.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

It doesn't sound like you will need to play the previous games as it will not really be a direct sequel.

Color me intrigued.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Oexmelin

Will it be called "The Gates of Baldur's Gate"?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Zanza

Both predecessors were amazingly good games. Hope this lives up to its name.

Syt

Well, Larian at least has a good track record. They're also working with Google to get this optimized for Stadia, as well, but it will be on other shops too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2019, 02:07:51 PM
Well, Larian at least has a good track record.

There is something about their games that were just a little off for me. I cannot really put my finger on it. The writing and the plots never really grabbed me. But I certainly cannot deny they are good games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2019, 02:07:51 PM
Well, Larian at least has a good track record. They're also working with Google to get this optimized for Stadia, as well, but it will be on other shops too.

It's already announced on GoG.

Quote from: ValmyThere is something about their games that were just a little off for me. I cannot really put my finger on it. The writing and the plots never really grabbed me. But I certainly cannot deny they are good games.

Same for me. I think it's tone. Sometimes it's super hammy. Sometimes it has ambitions of grandeur. It wants to tell an epic tale, but sometimes, not really. It looked like the stories were written by a team of very different people, with no clear overall vision.

Apparently their latest game was much better on that regard (?) but I haven't played it. My laptop is no longer game-friendly.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Zoupa

The gameplay was superb, the story not so much. For DOS1 and 2 I mean, not BG.

Josquius

I've still never finished BG2.
Same problem I always have with elder scrolls games. I end up being a completionist for quests and hoarder of stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Interesting. And I agree with Valmy and Oex about the tone of Larian RPG's.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Grey Fox

I was/am kickstarter backer for DOS2, I am obviously in for this BG3.

For those who need to play BG1 & BG2, Modern consoles versions are coming.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 07, 2019, 07:16:42 AM
I was/am kickstarter backer for DOS2, I am obviously in for this BG3.

For those who need to play BG1 & BG2, Modern consoles versions are coming.

Man, I got so much gameplay out of the BG2 discs you gave me.

IMO, the best parts of BG1 and 2 was the middle sandbox. I usually lost interest in finishing the story arc and at a certain point would restart and try a different character and a different party. Got a lot of replay that way. Thousands of hours.

Trailer with the mind flayer looks cool. It's unlikely I will play because I don't want to make the time to do it right.
humans were created in their own image