News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

End of WW2 - 75th anniversary

Started by Maladict, June 05, 2019, 08:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

All those nations suffered through the war. Which side they were on is irrelevant
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on June 09, 2019, 10:04:56 AM
All those nations suffered through the war. Which side they were on is irrelevant
That's not what the tweet says, though.  And arguing that "[w]hich side they were on is irrelevant" makes a mockery of the idea that taking the correct side on critical issues is important.  It is very relevant indeed "which side they were on" in WW2.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2019, 10:13:36 AM
That's not what the tweet says, though.  And arguing that "[w]hich side they were on is irrelevant" makes a mockery of the idea that taking the correct side on critical issues is important.  It is very relevant indeed "which side they were on" in WW2.
That's the sort of attitude that leads to hostility never ending
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on June 09, 2019, 10:33:00 AM

Not if all parties agree, and postwar Germany has done a good job at that.

garbon

Well the actual tweet (now apparently deleted) was a video. The clip I just saw had the queen starting shaking the hand of the woman before Merkel hand and then it ends on her shaking Merkel's hand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

It was a funny mishap by whoever tweets on that account, no more no less.

grumbler

Quite untrue.  It is the idea that it doesn't matter what side you fight on that makes for hostility never ending.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2019, 12:38:17 PM
It was a funny mishap by whoever tweets on that account, no more no less.

Agreed.  Trump's use of D-Day as an example of American-German cooperation was a lot funnier, but this was pretty funny. Absent the tweet, the shaking of hands was quite ordinary, and Merkel is, I am sure, as happy about the ultimate results of D-Day as is Elizabeth II or anyone else there.

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2019, 07:45:40 PM

Quite untrue.  It is the idea that it doesn't matter what side you fight on that makes for hostility never ending.

Well, actually, Tyr's attitude only leads to hostility never ending if you believe that stupidity inevitably leads to hostility.

Valmy

I want to see Trump, May, and Putin re-enact that famous shot of the Big 3 at Yalta.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2019, 08:35:03 PM
I want to see Trump, May, and Putin re-enact that famous shot of the Big 3 at Yalta.

I would like to see that, somehow with the addition of May walking into the shot like in her meme.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

The little 3?

History repeats itself, the first time as a tragedy, the second time as a farce?

Last time we sent a physical cripple to the meeting, this time a mental cripple.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on June 10, 2019, 11:43:09 AM

Last time we sent a physical cripple to the meeting, this time a mental cripple.

That's kind of cruel, but it's funny 'cause it's true.

Razgovory

I imagine bringing in Putin to honor Russian contributions to D-day would not go well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017