News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

End of WW2 - 75th anniversary

Started by Maladict, June 05, 2019, 08:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2019, 01:47:41 AM
I'm trying to think of a single mistake of WWI we're repeating.

Some breakdown in trade is happening. But it's a pretty inapt comparison, I think.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Yeah, it's more about repeating the mistakes of the between-the-wars era.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on June 06, 2019, 07:28:14 AM
Sobering that in the 75th anniversary year we're retreating from Europe, largely motivated by a fear of 'foreigners' and an general ignorance of what the EU is. 

There will be trouble ahead.

September 1st 2039

In the Westerplatte or Danzig declaration, following secret negotiations at Gleiwitz, the UK joins back the EU.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2019, 09:09:46 AM

Some breakdown in trade is happening. But it's a pretty inapt comparison, I think.

Oh, I thought of another one: Militarization.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The Military Industrial Complex has been around since Eisenhower.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 06, 2019, 02:36:07 PM

Well at least that combination of words describing it has been. Not sure if that is the same thing as its existence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

We don't understand or care about squabbles in the Balkans.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

You are not paying attention

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2019, 09:09:46 AM

You are correct in that rather than being isolationist the US has gone full blown bat shit crazy.

derspiess

You're paying too much attention.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 06, 2019, 02:36:07 PM

Cool story.  Perhaps you can find a proper place to share it next time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I'd say that Chinese president Xi Jinping is doing a decent Kaiser Wilhelm II impression.  The one power that should be most satisfied with the wold is doing its best to destabilize the world and pick fights. 

I don't think that there is a Fin de Siecle equivalent of Trump.  Maybe he's Wilhelm II as well, except dumber and less articulate.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

To be fair, without Germans there wouldn't have been a D-Day. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.