News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

End of WW2 - 75th anniversary

Started by Maladict, June 05, 2019, 08:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Lots of events coming up over the course of the next 15 months or so, might as well make a thread for it.

Maladict

Duque de Bragança

Something special about Market-Garden commemorations in Batavian lands this year?

Yes, D-Day 75th anniversary. Pretty huge here, like 5 years ago for the 70th anniversary. Except it started yesterday.

Richard Hakluyt

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 05, 2019, 08:25:54 AM
Something special about Market-Garden commemorations in Batavian lands this year?

Definitely, I intend to go and see a lot of it.

I was there 25 years ago when the veterans rolled into Nijmegen. First big city they entered, and they clearly weren't expecting thousands of people lining the streets. Not a dry eye to be seen.

The Larch

Is that Mel Brooks in the 3rd picture? I know he's a WWII vet, but don't know if he was on D-Day...

Habbaku

No, it's not Brooks. He was in the 78th ID according to Wikipedia, and that guy's wearing a 101st patch.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Love the old Airborne vet wearing his polished jump boots.  I'm sure he's got some stories.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

It's weird.  When I was a kid WW2 vets were very common.  Nearly everyone had someone in the family that fought in the war or otherwise contributed (though few talked much about it).  They were almost all retirees by then, but they were still quite visible.  I image everyone on this board had the same experience.  It's so weird that there are so few left, and that one day soon there will be nobody left.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2019, 04:50:14 PM
It's weird.  When I was a kid WW2 vets were very common.  Nearly everyone had someone in the family that fought in the war or otherwise contributed (though few talked much about it).  They were almost all retirees by then, but they were still quite visible.  I image everyone on this board had the same experience.  It's so weird that there are so few left, and that one day soon there will be nobody left.

It's exactly the same distance in time from the end of WW2 to now, and from the end of the American Civil War to the start of WW2! - 74 years.

(1865 + 74 = 1939; 1945 + 74 = 2019) 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2019, 04:50:14 PM

I also remember as a kid going to remembrance day ceremonies and there being some aged WWI vets present.  They're of course now long gone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I didn't meet my first WWII vet until fairly recently, when I moved to Iowa from DC.

Eddie Teach

You've lived in Iowa since at least 2003, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 05, 2019, 05:39:02 PM
You've lived in Iowa since at least 2003, right?

I've kind of lost track.

Razgovory

I once read that big wars tend to occur after everyone from the last big war is dead.  Hopefully that's not true.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017