News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So what's the new P'dox game gonna be ...

Started by Josephus, May 28, 2019, 02:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Really hoping it's a new IP instead of HOI LXVI Sengoku II.

A late 1700s to 1820 game with a focus on revolutionary governments, or extending a little further to allow for all the South American revolutions would be pretty cool, but I'm skeptical of Pdox's skills at modeling any of that without it turning into a paint-the-map game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

They went Sci-Fi with Stellaris... any chance they go high fantasy?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2019, 02:32:41 PM

They showed they were willing to test those waters with their cancelled RPG. Wouldn't count it out since I don't think it's going to be another historical game.

Habbaku

That would be pretty awesome.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on May 28, 2019, 02:35:11 PM

They showed they were willing to test those waters with their cancelled RPG. Wouldn't count it out since I don't think it's going to be another historical game.

Yeah - there are no real obvious historical periods left to do.  Even Vicky they have said was not a strong seller.

I think a Cold War simulator would be really cool (I played the hell out of Balance of Power back in the day, but I suspect there just wouldn't be enough "action" in it for many people.  And a Napoleonic era game would also be cool, though it's a tough era to model, and again maybe not as well known.

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on May 28, 2019, 02:46:53 PM

That would be pretty awesome.

I would prefer more history, myself.

But what would be cool is that you know people will come out with mods for Game of Thrones, LOTR and others...

Josephus

I think, for me, Pdox is going the way of the Star Wars franchise. Let me explain:

I watched the first Star Wars movie when it came out. I looked forward to every Star Wars movie that came out afterwards. Including the episodes 1-3. When they announced The Force Awakens, I was giddy. The wait in between movies kept my interest, anticipation up. Even if the movies sucked (Phantom Menace) the fact that it was another Star Wars movie excited me. Now...meh, they're putting out something every year. I still haven't seen the Han Solo movie. At this point, I doubt I will. I'll go see the next film, but I'm not counting the days until.

You see where I'm going, right.

I, like some of you, go back to 2001 and Europa Universalis One.  I swallowed that game and when they announced EU2, I was ecstatic. And then...what, a WW2 game. Holy Shit!! And Victoria...and HOI 2. And well...the thing is these games came out a year or more after each other.
There was time to enjoy them, play them to death, get sick of them...anticipate the next one.

Now. Not so much. I'm still playing EUIV (2013) and recently got into CKII (2012). With the addition of DLCs, and my financial investment into these games, I want to get my money's worth. I'm not young anymore, and my game time is limited to about 6 hours a week. These games take a long time to play. Sometimes takes me a month. I also, sometimes, branch out into non-P'dox games.

So I skipped Stellaris completely. Tried HOI IV, but stopped after about a year. I'm not going to bother with Imperator right now, and am not excited about their next game, whatever it is. If it's a game that interests me conceptually then maybe I'll pick it up a year from now if I'm sick of EUIV and havent' bought more DLCs by then.

This is not criticism of their model. They're a corporate entity now, and have shareholders to please. I'm glad Johan is doing well. They're putting out tons of games and appealing to a very broad base. Like Disney.

All I'm saying is that unlike the past when a new P'dox game filled me with anticipation, I'm less excited now. You can have too much of a good thing. And for now, at least, EUIV and CKII are keeping me very busy.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

They're still pumping out DLCs for CKII seven years later.  They don't have to release actual new games to still generate sales.

celedhring

Quote from: dps on May 29, 2019, 09:34:08 PM
They're still pumping out DLCs for CKII seven years later.  They don't have to release actual new games to still generate sales.

Well, after buying Imperator I can tell you they don't.  :P

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on May 30, 2019, 01:51:48 AM
Quote from: dps on May 29, 2019, 09:34:08 PM

Well, after buying Imperator I can tell you they don't.  :P
:pinch: