The Innisfil experiment:the town that replaced public transit with Uber

Started by garbon, July 16, 2019, 06:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I too was taught to double space after a period.  I've never been quite clear why that is now wrong.  I continue to double space.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2019, 09:54:03 AM
I too was taught to double space after a period.  I've never been quite clear why that is now wrong.  I continue to double space.

Because the word processing software has kerning, making the double space unnecessary.
humans were created in their own image

Razgovory

I still double space, and have never been told to do otherwise.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2019, 10:23:35 PM

Really? Nobody would let me get away with that at my job. Engineering school beat it out of me anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

This is the first time I actually hear about double spacing. Is it supposed to be a relic from the typewriter era?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2019, 11:13:40 PM

Really? Nobody would let me get away with that at my job. Engineering school beat it out of me anyway.

Well, I haven't had a job in 16 years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on July 18, 2019, 07:12:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2019, 11:13:40 PM

Are you bored? Do you wish you had one?

Serious question btw. I'm not trolling or trying to be mean.

Well, I haven't had a job in 16 years.

saskganesh

Take a graphic design course. You will be told otherwise.

saskganesh