Alabama abortion ban: Republican state senate passes most restrictive law in US

Started by garbon, May 15, 2019, 03:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Sure thing is that he will not vote to reaffirm the Roe precedent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: dps on May 15, 2019, 04:14:17 PM
As a conservative, I'm calling bullshit on this.  Though I in no way claim to be a compassionate conservative.

I'm game. Show me where the Republicans have taken a leading, active role in any of the things I brought up.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2019, 06:01:54 PM
Sure thing is that he will not vote to reaffirm the Roe precedent.

But... but... but it's settled law! He said so!

I despise the man. May he die an early death.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2019, 12:30:48 PM
Lawtalkers, I have a question about the whole "If they leave the state for an abortion, we'll still try them for murder" part of these laws.

How does that work? I mean, that strikes me as not okay.

It's literally the Fugitive Womb Act.

There was a similar law 150 some years ago that caused a bit of a problem for us.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2019, 05:16:27 PM
Lawtalkers, I have a question about the whole "If they leave the state for an abortion, we'll still try them for murder" part of these laws.

Better start dusting off those old fugitive slave precedents . . .
Alabama can define whatever it wants to as a crime, constitution permitting.  Where things get tricky is when the invoke the rendition clause under Article IV to bring people back to Alabama for trial based on acts entirely committed in another state.

Imagine (for example) California retaliates by criminalizing handgun sales and then makes it a crime to leave the state to purchase a gun.

This is the kind of interstate shit show that helped lead to the last civil war.

You would think Alabama would get tired of this ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 16, 2019, 04:29:23 AM

It's literally the Fugitive Womb Act.

There was a similar law 150 some years ago that caused a bit of a problem for us.

You do realize that the Fugitive Slave Act was a federal law, not a state law, don't you?

Though apparently you don't know what "literally" means, so maybe you don't get the distinction between federal law and state law, either.

merithyn

Alabama does a crap job not just of taking care of children once they're born, but of taking care of them in utero, too.

Make the mother stay pregnant but do fuck all to help her get through the pregnancy safely.

Alabama sucks and here are all the ways they do

merithyn

Quote from: merithyn on May 16, 2019, 12:38:36 AM
Quote from: dps on May 15, 2019, 04:14:17 PM
As a conservative, I'm calling bullshit on this.  Though I in no way claim to be a compassionate conservative.

I'm game. Show me where the Republicans have taken a leading, active role in any of the things I brought up.

Dps, I'm actually serious on this. Are there any Republican-led programs or legislative actions in the US that have the intent to reduce pregnancies other than the thoroughly disproved method of abstinence?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 09:50:27 AM
Abstinence works every time it's used  ;) :P :ph34r:

Actually it has failed every single time it has been used as a public policy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Valmy

I mean if the church failed to get people to be abstinent under the threat of eternal damnation I am not sure what mere secular governments can do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on May 16, 2019, 09:34:03 AM
16T13%3A01%3A02&utm_term=link&r=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F]Alabama sucks and here are all the ways they do[/url]
I've been to Alabama and I really liked it.  Just be sure to become a white male like me first if you want to visit. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on May 16, 2019, 10:36:13 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 16, 2019, 09:34:03 AM
16T13%3A01%3A02&utm_term=link&r=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F]Alabama sucks and here are all the ways they do[/url]
I've been to Alabama and I really liked it.  Just be sure to become a white male like me first if you want to visit. :sleep:
Learn to crop you dolt.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 09:50:27 AM
Abstinence works every time it's used  ;) :P :ph34r:

Well, no, actually it doesn't. Your party is now actually enforcing childbirth when the women practices absitinence but someone rapes her.

So no, you are actually and obviously fucking wrong in the very context of the law you are so smugly defending.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned