Alabama abortion ban: Republican state senate passes most restrictive law in US

Started by garbon, May 15, 2019, 03:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2019, 11:27:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2019, 11:09:18 AM
It reminds me a bit of how people were talking about divine right citizenship of the US vs. inferior man created citizenship back during the birther stuff. I mean God made George III our king as well.

Logic has no place in a mob-rule society, and mob-rule societies is what we are heading towards for the next couple of decades.

It makes sense from the perspective of someone who believes that a God governs all actions.  A good many people in the US seem to hold that belief.

Caliga

Quote"Human life has rights, and when someone takes those rights, that's when we as government have to step in," said the state senator Clyde Chambliss. "When God creates that life, that miracle of life inside the woman's womb, it's not our place as humans to extinguish that life. That's what I believe."
Yes, and these same idiots are usually huge fans of the death penalty.  Did God not create the lives of murderers too? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2019, 12:05:42 PM
Quote"Human life has rights, and when someone takes those rights, that's when we as government have to step in," said the state senator Clyde Chambliss. "When God creates that life, that miracle of life inside the woman's womb, it's not our place as humans to extinguish that life. That's what I believe."
Yes, and these same idiots are usually huge fans of the death penalty.  Did God not create the lives of murderers too? :hmm:

Well and also the same individuals who don't want to fund programs to take care of all these children they are forcing women to carry to term.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2019, 12:24:44 PM

Well and also the same individuals who don't want to fund programs to take care of all these children they are forcing women to carry to term.

Well that is the thing. Ok so we have these tens of thousands of babies carried to term and then dumped on the social services. We are doing a disgraceful job caring for the ones we already have under state stewardship.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Lawtalkers, I have a question about the whole "If they leave the state for an abortion, we'll still try them for murder" part of these laws.

How does that work? I mean, that strikes me as not okay.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2019, 12:30:48 PM
Lawtalkers, I have a question about the whole "If they leave the state for an abortion, we'll still try them for murder" part of these laws.

I thought the laws were explicit that they would prosecute the doctor, not the patient.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2019, 12:29:38 PM

Well that is the thing. Ok so we have these tens of thousands of babies carried to term and then dumped on the social services. We are doing a disgraceful job caring for the ones we already have under state stewardship.

There's a shortage of adoptable babies in north america - that's why you see so many families adopting from overseas.

It's the toddlers onward that we do a shitty job looking after in government care.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2019, 12:37:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2019, 12:29:38 PM

There's a shortage of adoptable babies in north america - that's why you see so many families adopting from overseas.

It's the toddlers onward that we do a shitty job looking after in government care.

I mean if we want to generalize, unless these mothers are immediately giving up their unwanted children, seems like they likely would only enter as toddlers once state has case to take them away.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2019, 12:35:30 PM

I thought the laws were explicit that they would prosecute the doctor, not the patient.

Not for Georgia though...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/09/georgia-effective-abortion-ban-cruelty-anti-choice-movement
QuoteThose who leave the state for an abortion, or who help others leave the state for an abortion, can be charged with conspiracy to commit murder and sentenced to up to 10 years in prison.

Valmy

Well ok but how big of a shortfall are we talking about? And it takes a pretty short time for babies to become toddlers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2019, 12:40:12 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/09/georgia-effective-abortion-ban-cruelty-anti-choice-movement
QuoteThose who leave the state for an abortion, or who help others leave the state for an abortion, can be charged with conspiracy to commit murder and sentenced to up to 10 years in prison.

Yikes.

merithyn

Which state? Georgia is charging the women with murder, even if they leave the state for the abortion. Also, they risk second-degree murder charges for miscarriages if it's determined that they did something that may have caused the miscarriage.

merithyn

That's not at all why people go overseas to adopt. The process to adopt a newborn infant in the US is generally more onerous, more expensive, and there's the significant chance that the birth parents will decide not to give the child up anyway, even after the adoptive parents have paid for everything. The adoptive parents then have no recourse.

And the US does a shitty job of caring for mothers, babies, and families, period.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2019, 12:40:12 PM

You'd think that would be impossible since they lack jurisdiction, but that hasn't stopped the sex tourism laws from being enforced. Perhaps it's a matter where the feds can do it and the states can't?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

If the Republican party's intention was to put women on notice that we're about to lose any semblance of bodily autonomy, they've accomplished their goal. They've taken away nearly all of the grants to give out free contraceptives, they've removed the requirement that contraceptives be treated like any other drugs, and now they're outright calling women murderers for not wanting to risk their life and health on a bunch of cells.

I've resisted calling "Republicans" the issue because of Trump, but it's pretty apparent now where they stand as a group regarding women. (They've shown their colors regarding race and LGBTQ time and again, as well.)

With the stacked Supreme Court, Roe v Wade is dead.