Alabama abortion ban: Republican state senate passes most restrictive law in US

Started by garbon, May 15, 2019, 03:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on May 17, 2019, 02:19:31 PM
All the stuff I said would minimize abortions and was called a radical feminist for. Because common sense is not for women, you know. We must be radical to want to be consider more human that a clump of cells.
You're making it sound like pregnancy is a choice between the death of the fetus and the death of the mother.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2019, 11:30:33 AM
I actually reject what I see as Meri's argument (which was Roe's argument I think, that the SC rejected as well) that a womans right to an abortion was absolute. I do think that there is in fact a balance to be struck between the individual rights of the mother, and societies interest in the prenatal health of this human being. And I think the argument that there is no possible way to have the view that abortion should be regulated in good faith, ie, based on concern for the health of this fetus rather than a desire to control women, is simply crazy. I am very content and comfortable saying that I think abortion can be  progressively more restricted as the pregnancy progresses, AND that we can and should do a much, much better job providing better heath care and health services to children and potential parents.

What you are referring to as the Roe compromise is the very thing that is under attack.  Of course it's possible to regulate abortion in good faith, most of the country has been doing it for 40 years.  But this whole thread is about a concerted effort to undo that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 19, 2019, 01:33:10 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2019, 11:30:33 AM
I actually reject what I see as Meri's argument (which was Roe's argument I think, that the SC rejected as well) that a womans right to an abortion was absolute. I do think that there is in fact a balance to be struck between the individual rights of the mother, and societies interest in the prenatal health of this human being. And I think the argument that there is no possible way to have the view that abortion should be regulated in good faith, ie, based on concern for the health of this fetus rather than a desire to control women, is simply crazy. I am very content and comfortable saying that I think abortion can be  progressively more restricted as the pregnancy progresses, AND that we can and should do a much, much better job providing better heath care and health services to children and potential parents.

What you are referring to as the Roe compromise is the very thing that is under attack.  Of course it's possible to regulate abortion in good faith, most of the country has been doing it for 40 years.  But this whole thread is about a concerted effort to undo that.

I think the thread is about whatever we wish it to be, and my response was driven not by the original topic, which is pretty boring (is there anyone in the entire thread who is actually in favor of this moronic law?).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

I don't think I posted it in hopes of finding someone who supported the law. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

What is significant about the law is that it reflects a radicalization of tactics in recognition of a changed political environment.  Issue based campaigners no longer see the need to tailor messages to try to secure majoritarian support. This is a play to inflame and provoke tribal instincts just as the complex immigration issue has been reduced to dangerous and emotive  claims about "invasions" and demands for medieval walls, with the consequence that a fake non-crisis on the border has been transformed into a very real moral crisis on the border. 

Our politics is being seized by zealots, because others who should know better are willing to encourage it in the hope of pushing Overton windows.  As a political tactic it is failing to achieve the objective as American opinions aren't really shifting from their central points, but the one Overton window that may be moving is the acceptability of displays of politically motivated violence and threats of violence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

I don't think it's a change in tactics. They just realized there's now a possibility the SC might reverse Roe so they're testing it. The reason these bills weren't passed before was they'd just be a waste of time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on May 18, 2019, 03:28:08 PM
Defining human is a bit more tricky.  There are people who are alive who exhibit very little brain activity, though we don't consider them legally dead.

And yet, it's not murder for a hospital or family member to "pull the plug" on someone with no brain activity.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2019, 06:04:28 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 17, 2019, 02:19:31 PM
All the stuff I said would minimize abortions and was called a radical feminist for. Because common sense is not for women, you know. We must be radical to want to be consider more human that a clump of cells.
You're making it sound like pregnancy is a choice between the death of the fetus and the death of the mother.

Every pregnancy has inherent risks. Not every pregnancy realizes those risks. It doesn't change the fact that the risks are there.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 19, 2019, 11:59:49 AM
I don't think it's a change in tactics. They just realized there's now a possibility the SC might reverse Roe so they're testing it. The reason these bills weren't passed before was they'd just be a waste of time.

That's not how interest groups move constitutional change.  You always want to bring test cases that build incrementally and present the matter in the best light.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

States pass laws to challenge Roe all the time.  Legislatures do this to signal their pro-life stance to their constituents.  They aren't accomplishing anything legally, but I doubt they feel they are wasting time.

This... is different.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Heard a funny quip - Alabama, where nobody chooses to give birth.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 19, 2019, 02:40:48 PM

That's not how interest groups move constitutional change.  You always want to bring test cases that build incrementally and present the matter in the best light.

Which is why a lot of pro-life special interest groups are not supporting the Alabama and Georgia bills.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/27/alabama-pregnant-woman-shot-manslaughter-charge-marshae-jones

QuoteAlabama: pregnant woman shot in stomach is charged in fetus's death

Marshae Jones was charged with manslaughter, while the woman accused of shooting her walks free, report says

A woman from Alabama who was shot in the stomach while pregnant – with the bullets killing the fetus – has been charged with manslaughter.

Marshae Jones was reportedly five months pregnant when she was shot by another woman in December outside a shop in Pleasant Grove, near Birmingham.

On Wednesday, Jones, 27, was indicted by a Jefferson county grand jury on a manslaughter charge and is expected to be held in Jefferson county jail on a $50,000 bond, while the woman accused of shooting her walked free, reported AL.com.

The case has raised alarm among pro-choice groups who say it is shocking evidence of how the state's restrictive abortion laws are now being used against pregnant women.

"The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,'' said Lt Danny Reid of Pleasant Grove police following the shooting, reported AL.com in December. "It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby."

The Guardian has contacted Jefferson county district attorney's office for comment.

It comes after the Alabama governor, Kay Ivey ,signed a bill in May banning abortion in almost every circumstance – including rape and incest – posing a challenge to Roe v Wade, the landmark 1973 supreme court judgment that guaranteed abortion rights across the nation.

Alabama is one of 38 states with fetal homicide laws that recognize a fetus as a potential victim.

It is also a "stand-your-ground" state, which means people are allowed to use physical force to defend themselves if their reason is considered "justifiable".

The ruling has prompted outcry on Twitter – including from abortion groups, who spoke out in Jones's support.

"Marshae Jones was indicted for manslaughter for losing a pregnancy after being shot in the abdomen FIVE times. Her shooter remains free," wrote Alabama-based abortion group the Yellowhammer Fund on Twitter. "We're going to get Marshae out of jail and assist with her legal representation."

Ilyse Hogue, president of Naral Pro-Choice America, tweeted: "Marshae Jones was indicted for homicide when someone shot her in the stomach while she was pregnant, ending her pregnancy. They said she 'started it.' The shooter went free. This what 2019 looks like for a pregnant woman of colour without means in a red state. This is now."

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2019, 04:45:18 PM

Quote.....

Ilyse Hogue, president of Naral Pro-Choice America, tweeted: "Marshae Jones was indicted for homicide when someone shot her in the stomach while she was pregnant, ending her pregnancy. They said she 'started it.' The shooter went free. This what 2019 looks like for a pregnant woman of colour without means in a red state. This is now."

Don't worry Gaby, some will be along in a while to explain why this is all entirely reasonable.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

It almost sounds like the writer would be happier if the woman defending herself from the pregnant lady was charged.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?