US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on August 10, 2019, 08:58:38 AM

Missouri Walmart panic caused by armed man testing gun rights

10 August 2019 

A man who sparked panic by walking into a Walmart with a rifle and body armour told police he was testing his right to bear arms in public.

Dmitriy Andreychenko entered the shop heavily armed, days after a mass shooting at another of Walmart's stores.

"I wanted to know if that Walmart honoured the second amendment," the 20-year-old told police after his arrest.

Prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat.

If found guilty, the charge could result in a four-year prison sentence and a fine of $10,000 (£8,300), Greene County prosecutor Dan Patterson said in a statement.

On 8 August, Mr Andreychenko entered the store "armed with an AR style rifle slung across his chest", police said, wearing a ballistic vest and recording himself. Both the rifle and a handgun he carried were loaded.

He told police he did not expect the reaction his walk generated.

"This is Missouri, I understand if we were somewhere else like New York or California, people would freak out," he said, according to police filings.

Days before, 20 people had been killed in a Walmart in El Paso by a gunman carrying an automatic rifle.

The police statement also revealed that his wife, Angelice, had told him "it was not a smart idea".

"She told him that people were going to take this seriously due to recent events... she told him he was just an immature boy," it said.
'''''''
Mr Andreychenko told police he only intended to buy some grocery bags and check if anyone tried to stop him.

The store manager "believed Andreychenko came to the store to shoot people", the police statement said, and triggered the fire alarm to evacuate customers.

Mr Andreychenko was held at gunpoint by an off-duty fire fighter, who was legally carrying his own weapon, until police arrested him.

I wonder if he'd been shot, whether trump would have tweeted in his 'defence'?

Full article here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49303879

I'm a bit surprised as well that they had the presence of mind to run away.  That's down in Springfield Missouri, deep in the Ozarks.  Few people have an even number of Great-Grand parents down there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Missouri Walmart panic caused by armed man testing gun rights

10 August 2019 

A man who sparked panic by walking into a Walmart with a rifle and body armour told police he was testing his right to bear arms in public.

Dmitriy Andreychenko entered the shop heavily armed, days after a mass shooting at another of Walmart's stores.

"I wanted to know if that Walmart honoured the second amendment," the 20-year-old told police after his arrest.

Prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat.

If found guilty, the charge could result in a four-year prison sentence and a fine of $10,000 (£8,300), Greene County prosecutor Dan Patterson said in a statement.

On 8 August, Mr Andreychenko entered the store "armed with an AR style rifle slung across his chest", police said, wearing a ballistic vest and recording himself. Both the rifle and a handgun he carried were loaded.

He told police he did not expect the reaction his walk generated.

"This is Missouri, I understand if we were somewhere else like New York or California, people would freak out," he said, according to police filings.

Days before, 20 people had been killed in a Walmart in El Paso by a gunman carrying an automatic rifle.

The police statement also revealed that his wife, Angelice, had told him "it was not a smart idea".

"She told him that people were going to take this seriously due to recent events... she told him he was just an immature boy," it said.
'''''''
Mr Andreychenko told police he only intended to buy some grocery bags and check if anyone tried to stop him.

The store manager "believed Andreychenko came to the store to shoot people", the police statement said, and triggered the fire alarm to evacuate customers.

Mr Andreychenko was held at gunpoint by an off-duty fire fighter, who was legally carrying his own weapon, until police arrested him.

Dumbass needs to understand, it's got nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment and everything to do with property rights.  Broadly speaking, you have no right to be on private property except under the conditions set by the property owner.  Stores are private property--if Walmart says you can't carry firearms into their stores, you have no right to challenge that';  you can either go onto their property under their conditions, or you can stay the fuck out.

The Minsky Moment

Now you know, schmuck.

Walmart is not Congress.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Just a little bit of devil's advocate on behalf of this dope:

- Walmart has a policy that allows open-carry in their stores (though I don't believe it applies to what this guy was carrying).
- Simply being a dope and violating Walmart policy does not/should not bring about the charges that were filed in this case.
- The wording of Missouri's "Making a terrorist threat" law seems pretty sketchy to to apply in this case:

Quote574.115.  Making a terrorist threat, first degree — penalty. — 1.  A person commits the offense of making a terrorist threat in the first degree if such person, with the purpose of frightening ten or more people or causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion of a building, inhabitable structure, place of assembly or facility of transportation, knowingly:

  (1)  Communicates an express or implied threat to cause an incident or condition involving danger to life; or

  (2)  Communicates a false report of an incident or condition involving danger to life; or

  (3)  Causes a false belief or fear that an incident has occurred or that a condition exists involving danger to life.

  2.  The offense of making a terrorist threat in the first degree is a class D felony.

  3.  No offense is committed under this section by a person acting in good faith with the purpose to prevent harm.

Unless there is more evidence/context than is missing in the news coverage, they're going to have to prove that open-carry is an implied threat.  And I doubt one could get away with "violating Walmart company policy" or "shortly after a well-known shooting in a another Walmart".

But I expect this will end up with him pleading guilty to lesser charges long after we have all forgotten about it.  :sleep:

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: 11B4V on August 04, 2019, 11:46:55 AM
If Las Vegas and/or Sandy Hook didn't move the needle, neither will these.
Yeah. I've always viewed it as something alien that I just won't get. But if Sandy Hook and the murder of six year olds doesn't change things, then this is just a choice.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on July 30, 2019, 05:46:07 PM
It's such an alien fear. Terrorism aside, the last (only really) killing-spree I can recall was Puerto Hurraco, and that was almost 30 years ago.
Yeah. I was in primary school - would have been 9 or 10 - in a small Scottish village, when Dunblane happened. Which was our last mass shooting, when Thomas Hamilton walked into a small Scottish town's primary school and killed sixteen 5 year olds and their teacher.

I don't remember any fear or significant changes. My school got a sign saying you weren't allowed on site without authorisation by the head teacher. But it was a school of about 40 kids, split into three classes. I was in the oldest group taught by the head mistress. The news came in through the day and I distinctly remember her crying through the afternoon class after lunch.

I can't imagine the alien fear that she must have been feeling at that time in that situation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2019, 09:35:18 AM
Yeah. I've always viewed it as something alien that I just won't get. But if Sandy Hook and the murder of six year olds doesn't change things, then this is just a choice.

I don't know, I feel like there's much more fervor by gun control advocates than 20 years ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 01, 2019, 12:27:32 PM

I don't know, I feel like there's much more fervor by gun control advocates than 20 years ago.

Have they actually gotten anything done?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 01, 2019, 12:27:32 PM

Yeah in the late 80s with all the gun violence of the 1980s there was a strong push. But once people stop shooting lots of people the gun rights people re-assert themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2019, 09:46:00 AM
Yeah. I was in primary school - would have been 9 or 10 - in a small Scottish village, when Dunblane happened. Which was our last mass shooting, when Thomas Hamilton walked into a small Scottish town's primary school and killed sixteen 5 year olds and their teacher.

I don't remember any fear or significant changes. My school got a sign saying you weren't allowed on site without authorisation by the head teacher. But it was a school of about 40 kids, split into three classes. I was in the oldest group taught by the head mistress. The news came in through the day and I distinctly remember her crying through the afternoon class after lunch.

I can't imagine the alien fear that she must have been feeling at that time in that situation.

Did you walk from the castle to school, or did the chauffeur drive you?

Sheilbh

There was a minivan! Picked up all the country kids. Once when I was about eight, slid the door shut and got my rucksack caught. Driver pulled away and dragged me for about 100m before he realised  <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!