Ornette Coleman: Shape of Jazz to Come; Tomorrow is the Question
Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um; Blues & Roots
David Brubeck: Time Out
Horace Silver: Blowing the Blues Away; Finger Poppin
Bill Evans: Portrait in Jazz
Sun Ra: Jazz in Sillhouette
Ellington: many released including Ellington Suites and Anatomy of a Murder
Cannonball Adderley: In San Francisco, others

Probably any year from 1959-1965 could qualify but 59 probably has the most recordings that people actually listen to.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Considering I recognize two album titles from the list, which is between 1 and 2 more than any other possible year, I have to agree. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

My personal preference is for pre-war jazz, but since that was an era of singles there's no way it could compete.

The Minsky Moment

In terms of influence, the Coltrane and Coleman recordings are probably the most significant. 
The Davis and Brubeck recordings are the most recognizable and widely played.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 14, 2019, 01:02:21 PM

Which, unsurprisingly, are the ones I recognized. Then again, I'm not much of a jazz ... head? Is that what you call jazz fans?

I like listening to it now and then, but it will usually be random Spotify playlists without paying much attention.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Poor Mingus must have had a rough childhood
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on May 14, 2019, 01:04:16 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 14, 2019, 01:02:21 PM

Which, unsurprisingly, are the ones I recognized. Then again, I'm not much of a jazz ... head? Is that what you call jazz fans?

Weren't jazz fans actually called once, hipsters?  :P

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Syt

Thanks. :)

I should rewatch Linkara's review of Batman: Jazz.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: frunk on May 14, 2019, 01:01:23 PM
My personal preference is for pre-war jazz, but since that was an era of singles there's no way it could compete.

1939 would be a very strong contender with the first recording of Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday, Coleman Hawkins' famous recording of Body and Soul,  some of the best recordings from the Lester Young-Page-Jones era Basie Orchestra, the early Benny Goodman recordings with Charlie Christian, and the first recordings of the Blanton-Webster era Ellington orchestra.
--Joan Robinson

PRC

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: PRC on May 15, 2019, 01:42:18 AM
What is Jazz?

When we go to a fancy restaurant he always carries my tray.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson