Main Menu

1999: The Best Year for Movies

Started by Tamas, May 14, 2019, 06:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: frunk on May 14, 2019, 03:09:07 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 14, 2019, 02:29:50 PM

All of that, due to an obnoxious kid character.   :hmm:

And an obnoxious female lead.  And terrible cartoony action sequences (with one or two exceptions).  And terrible pseudo gross out scenes.  And generally cheeseball acting with very little charm.  And tonal problems that leave it unable to succeed as either a kids movie or more adult fair.

I dunno - my only problem with Temple of Doom is the "obnoxious female lead".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Short Round isn't that annoying even, for annoying kid sidekick standards. But Capshaw has a frankly terrible role and she doesn't do much to salvage it either. I nearly forgive her because of the amazing opening scene though (singing Cole Porter in Mandarin).

But the movie is an awesome (and yes, silly) rollercoaster. It just doesn't stop. Not every scene works, but many do, and it's absolutely relentless.

I personally prefer it to Last Crusade, which is a lesser remake of the first, elevated by Sean Connery.

Caliga

The best year for movies is 1990 because that's the year Goodfellas came out. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

You can't pick a year based on one movie.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

1990 does have as well one of Depardieu's best movies, Cyrano de Bergerac, the best adaptation of the play and an excellent adaptation in its own right.

celedhring

Miller's Crossing remains my favorite Cohen movie to this day, too.

As for more pop culture rellevant stuff, there's Dances with Wolves, Edward Scissorhands, Total Recall, Ghost, Red October... there's worse years.

Oh, and Darkman. Darkman is awesome.

Tamas

Miller's Crossing is a great movie.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2019, 03:54:23 PM
Short Round isn't that annoying even, for annoying kid sidekick standards. But Capshaw has a frankly terrible role and she doesn't do much to salvage it either. I nearly forgive her because of the amazing opening scene though (singing Cole Porter in Mandarin).

But the movie is an awesome (and yes, silly) rollercoaster. It just doesn't stop. Not every scene works, but many do, and it's absolutely relentless.

I personally prefer it to Last Crusade, which is a lesser remake of the first, elevated by Sean Connery.

The movie would have been a masterpiece if only they had Indy go through with the sacrifice of the female lead ... after he regains his sanity.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 15, 2019, 01:55:55 AM
1990 does have as well one of Depardieu's best movies, Cyrano de Bergerac, the best adaptation of the play and an excellent adaptation in its own right.
oh yeah, excellent movie!  But I thought it was older than that :)
I shall have to buy it someday :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2019, 02:41:32 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 15, 2019, 01:55:55 AM
oh yeah, excellent movie!  But I thought it was older than that :)
I shall have to buy it someday :)

Recently re-released on blu-ray in France, remastered (version restaurée). The previous one was not great.
Don't know if it's region locked.