And we're back!

Main Menu

Extinction Rebellion Protests

Started by mongers, April 19, 2019, 07:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on April 19, 2019, 09:36:01 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 19, 2019, 09:24:25 AM
I have to agree with mongers that this issue isn't very comparable to the issues MLK confronted.

The idea that protests have to use illegal means is I think A) retarded and B) dangerous to democracy. There are plenty of legal ways to protest in a modern Western country. It strikes me as unhealthy to undermine the rule of law (which in a democracy includes democracy) over any and all political issues that you happen to care about.

:bleeding:

Sauvages. Expliquons-nous sur ce mot. Ces hommes hérissés qui, dans les jours génésiaques du chaos révolutionnaire, déguenillés, hurlants, farouches, le casse-tête levé, la pique haute, se ruaient sur le vieux Paris bouleversé, que voulaient-ils ? Ils voulaient la fin des oppressions, la fin des tyrannies, la fin du glaive, le travail pour l'homme, l'instruction pour l'enfant, la douceur sociale pour la femme, la liberté, l'égalité, la fraternité, le pain pour tous, l'idée pour tous, l'édénisation du monde, le Progrès ; et cette chose sainte, bonne et douce, le progrès, poussés à bout, hors d'eux-mêmes, ils la réclamaient terribles, demi-nus, la massue au poing, le rugissement à la bouche. C'étaient les sauvages, oui ; mais les sauvages de la civilisation.

Ils proclamaient avec furie le droit ; ils voulaient, fût-ce par le tremblement et l'épouvante, forcer le genre humain au paradis. Ils semblaient des barbares et ils étaient des sauveurs. Ils réclamaient la lumière avec le masque de la nuit.

En regard de ces hommes, farouches, nous en convenons, et effrayants, mais farouches et effrayants pour le bien, il y a d'autres hommes, souriants, brodés, dorés, enrubannés, constellés, en bas de soie, en plumes blanches, en gants jaunes, en souliers vernis, qui, accoudés à une table de velours au coin d'une cheminée de marbre, insistent doucement pour le maintien et la conservation du passé, du moyen-âge, du droit divin, du fanatisme, de l'ignorance, de l'esclavage, de la peine de mort, de la guerre, glorifiant à demi-voix et avec politesse le sabre, le bûcher et l'échafaud. Quant à nous, si nous étions forcés à l'option entre les barbares de la civilisation et les civilisés de la barbarie, nous choisirions les barbares.

I don't read French.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2019, 04:36:23 AM
Google auto-translated for me. :hmm:

Nagyszerű, akkor ezek után mind írhatunk az anyanyelvünkön, vagy ez fent van tartva felsőbbrendűsegi-komplexusos franciáknak?

Richard Hakluyt

Why does Magyar sound quite nice but when written down looks like the black speech of Mordor?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2019, 06:14:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2019, 04:36:23 AM
Google auto-translated for me. :hmm:

Nagyszerű, akkor ezek után mind írhatunk az anyanyelvünkön, vagy ez fent van tartva felsőbbrendűsegi-komplexusos franciáknak?

I had to move it to Google translate as it appears it wants to only translate from one language on a page. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

There is a phrase somewhere about not stopping the enemy from making a mistake?  I think that probably applies here. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 20, 2019, 02:17:41 AM
The problem with most protest movements (in a democratic state) is that they preach to the converted. I think climate extinction are a classic case of this. Have they forgotten (do they even know) that hourly-paid employees will lose money if they are delayed in getting to work and that their already inadequate pay packets will be even lighter? They are middle class folk already steeped in the need for change, their target should be to communicate this need to the masses.

Which is something that David Attenborough does so well in his documentaries. He calmly presents what is going on without hectoring. He isn't someone who can be dismissed as a scruffy lefty, being BBC aristocracy. Daily mail readers in the shires watch his shows and start to agonise over plastic waste. He has done so much more than all these protestors in raising consciousness and winning hearts and minds.

Which leads to change, even the current shabby excuse for a UK government are initiating change https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launches-plan-to-ban-plastic-straws-cotton-buds-and-stirrers

Even Mark Carney (governor of the Bank of England) is making speeches warning companies that if they don't adapt to the new green9er) economy then they will face destruction https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-34393864/bank-of-england-boss-carney-warns-of-global-warming-risk

The door to change is already opening at least in the UK; as individuals we need to think carefully about how we can help push that door open.

Too late for being nice about it

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 20, 2019, 06:17:31 AM
Why does Magyar sound quite nice but when written down looks like the black speech of Mordor?

I saw something in Romanian the other day and I was thinking "This is Romance language?  It's looks like what you would get if you crossed Hungarian and Orcish".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2019, 10:42:21 AM

Too late for being nice about it

CC, it's not about niceness, but about effectiveness and not being counter-productive, which was Tricky, mine and other's point.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Attenborough documentaries have not worked.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2019, 12:44:53 PM

Do anything to gain attention?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2019, 01:17:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2019, 12:44:53 PM

Do anything to gain attention?

Protesting is not exactly an unknown strategy to create change.

garbon

How do you see this protest being effective?

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2019, 02:27:24 PM

1. Protest
2. ???
3. Solve climate change by 2025

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2019, 02:27:24 PM

It will make some of the protesters feel better about themselves. But what could they do to be effective?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?