News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Notre-Dame cathedral burning in Paris

Started by Solmyr, April 15, 2019, 02:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Macaroni says it will be rebuilt even more beautiful and he wants it done for the 2024 Olympics.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47957400

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

It's a new construction, so no apples-to-apples, but La Sagrada Familia has essentially had all the money they needed for the past two decades, are using a ton of modern building techniques, and still won't be finished until the 2030s. There's only so much you can rush this kind of structures. Particularly erecting a spire.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on April 17, 2019, 07:25:10 AM
Macaron says it will be rebuilt even more beautiful and he wants it done for the 2024 Olympics.

Fixed! :)
Sounds like more wishful thinking by Macaron, unfortunately.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 17, 2019, 03:52:27 AM
Are they going to do everything by hand in the original way (as understood by historians)?
most likely not.  But some of the apparent pieces could be.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Quote from: PDH on April 16, 2019, 11:09:56 PM
I would think that rebuilding a flying buttress cathedral will take a bit more time than an overpass stretch of interstate or somesuch.  First of all, the stones needed are not going to be poured from concrete, they will be cut stones, the timbers may well be amalgams of woods, but I would bet they will be not so easy to make as assumed, etc. etc. 

The point is that they will be remaking a Gothic cathedral, using modern knowledge and understandings of not only what works but what the original builders used or wanted.  Why?  It is grandfather's pocket knife - sure the blade is new, but handle was his and that blade was made properly.  They are not making a new structure, but instead salvaging a partially destroyed monument from a bygone period.  To do it justice they should not simple repave or replace, but instead find a way to be true to the intentions of past times - even if earlier changes, fixes, destructions were not so gentle.

To do it right, proper, and good means that it will be harder than some think.

Ship of Theseus, yeah.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

dps

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 17, 2019, 08:17:29 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 17, 2019, 07:25:10 AM
Macaron says it will be rebuilt even more beautiful and he wants it done for the 2024 Olympics.

Fixed! :)
Sounds like more wishful thinking by Macaron, unfortunately.

Yeah.  If it were just an issue of funding, I might put some stock in what he has to say about it, but articles I've seen where architects and construction people talk about it say 20 years at least, 40 years more likely.

derspiess

According to multiple posts on FB, my sister in law thinks we should feed all the starving kids in the world and clean up plastic garbage on the beaches before anything is done to restore the cathedral.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2019, 02:16:30 PM
According to multiple posts on FB, my sister in law thinks we should feed all the starving kids in the world and clean up plastic garbage on the beaches before anything is done to restore the cathedral.

If she wants to troll, she should suggest that as Notre Dame is owned and maintained by the government and France is now quite multicultural, the reconstruction should incorporate design elements from all religions in France, as well as from the agnostic and atheistic.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 17, 2019, 02:23:28 PM

If she wants to troll, she should suggest that as Notre Dame is owned and maintained by the government and France is now quite multicultural, the reconstruction should incorporate design elements from all religions in France, as well as from the agnostic and atheistic.

Well it already is un Temple de la Raison.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Is she under the impression we are paying for it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

There's a of retardation going around the last couple of days. Sorry to hear your sister in law caught it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

She's a hippie and loves re-posting things that try to guilt people.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2019, 02:59:27 PM
She's a hippie and loves re-posting things that try to guilt people.

Well tell her we shouldn't spend any money to clean up beach plastic or feed starving human children until we save all the endangered species. And that she is a monster.

derspiess

Last time she was up here, we got into an interesting conversation about sea turtle eggs, and whether or not people were monsters for eating them.  Got really fun when she admitted to eating them on multiple occasions.

For the record, I haven't ever eaten any.