News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox partners with Romero Games

Started by Syt, April 02, 2019, 11:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yes, Brenda & John Romero's company. For a strategy game. (After Ion Storm, John Romero has mostly been working on mobile games IIRC.)

https://www.romeroxparadox.com/

https://www.pcgamer.com/romero-games-is-working-on-a-strategy-game-with-paradox/?utm_content=buffere87ba&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

QuoteRomero Games is working on a strategy game with Paradox

On Twitter today Brenda Romero announced that Romero Games is partnering with Paradox to create a new strategy game. All we have are the developer logos at the moment, but more details will be revealed at E3 this year.

For "advance peeks at the game's theme" you can sign up at romeroparadox.com. A few nuggets may also appear on the Paradox forums, where the game currently exists as a speculation thread. The game will be based on original IP.

"This has been a project we've been wanting to work on for a long time, so it's especially exciting that we'll be partnering with Paradox Interactive to fully realize that dream," says Romero Games co-founder Brenda Romero, via press release. "We can't wait to tell everyone more, so make sure you watch this space!"

On the Romero Games site the studio says it has "two games in production across several platforms". It's unclear whether the pair includes Sigil, an "unofficial spiritual successor" to the fourth episode of Ultimate Doom, due to release at some point this month after a delay from February.

Since its formation in 2015 Romero Games has released a HD update of Dangerous Dave in the Deserted Pirate's Hideout on mobile, and Gunman Taco Truck on Steam. A strategy game is an interesting change of pace for this particular studio, though Brenda Romero has worked on strategy games such as Jagged Alliance series and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Commander. Let the speculation commence!

Though since Daikatana, John has been reluctant to talk to the public from what I understand, and Brenda is the public face of the company.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Maybe this is the project they fired Jon Shafer from :P

Syt

I didn't know that Brenda was one of the designers/writers on Wizardry 8 and a writer for JA2
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, plenty speculation posts on Paradox - "Romero? Must be about zombies!" Stupid kids. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2019, 11:42:56 AM
Also, plenty speculation posts on Paradox - "Romero? Must be about zombies!" Stupid kids. :P

That was my first thought  :Embarrass:

Tamas

Threviel

Could someone tell this ignorant bastard who the Romero's are?

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on April 03, 2019, 05:50:34 AM

A famous videogame designer. The "father" of first person shooters.

ulmont

Quote from: The Larch on April 03, 2019, 05:52:54 AM

John Romero is the co-founder of id Software and designer for, to pick the top 3, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake.

John famously made a really shitty game called Daikatana in 2000, after which he pivoted to mobile games for a while.

Brenda Romero was the designer on Wizardry 8 as well as a lot of other Sir-Tech games before marrying John Romero.

crazy canuck

So paradox is making a first person shooter?

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on April 03, 2019, 09:19:15 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 03, 2019, 05:52:54 AM

John Romero is the co-founder of id Software and designer for, to pick the top 3, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake.

John famously made a really shitty game called Daikatana in 2000, after which he pivoted to mobile games for a while.

Brenda Romero was the designer on Wizardry 8 as well as a lot of other Sir-Tech games before marrying John Romero.

The game was called John Romero's Daikatana.  In addition to it being "really shitty", it was also endlessly hyped prior to its release, with a lot of that hype focusing on Romero himself being involved.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2019, 01:37:26 PM
The game was called John Romero's Daikatana.  In addition to it being "really shitty", it was also endlessly hyped prior to its release, with a lot of that hype focusing on Romero himself being involved.

Well, yes.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

As they mentioned...I think a near-modern world (Cold War) setting is just about the only one they haven't done yet. 

Something along the lines of an updated Balance of Power/Shadow President/Command HQ would be interesting (but I doubt this is that).

dps

Yeah, it's hard to say what this will end up being.  Paradox is known for strategy games, not first-person shooters, while Romero is the reverse.  That suggests that either Paradox or Romero is stepping out of their comfort zone, or that the new game is intended to be some sort of genre-buster (though I'm not sure how you'd go about blending a FPS with strategy).  Or they're both stepping out of their comfort zone and the game will be a sports game.  ;)