News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

April in Toronto

Started by Savonarola, April 01, 2019, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

I'll be good for 5, or whenever you get back to your hotel . (I work long mornings)
humans were created in their own image

Malthus

5 or any time after - I'm flexible.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

5 PM should still work for me as well; see you then at the old Maple Leaf Gardens.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

I wish I could be there for this  :)

saskganesh

Fly in this summer. We will loop in HVC and Josephus.

Actually, that goes for anybody, but you are first in line. :Canuck:

saskganesh

This was a  good time. Sav got to stand at center ice at the former MLG AND then later touched a chair from the old Montreal Forum with his bare hand. We talked about a lot of you. We also tried to see disgusting medical specimens but were thwarted. And there was drinks. :cheers:

Savonarola

It was the most Canadian experience possible, given the circumstances.  :Canuck:

(Except that no one ordered a Caesar.)

It was nice to see that they did repurpose Maple Leaf Gardens; even if it was only a grocery store (and university).  Detroit's old sports venues (The Olympia and Tiger Stadium) are all gone.  UT has some really neat buildings; I thought the neo-Gothic buildings from the 19th century were especially well done.  In a lot of cases, in that era, architects went wild with ornametnation and made their building a riot of gothicness.  These were considerably more restrained.

Sask managed to find the only bar in Toronto where we were seated at the kid's table.  All the other patrons were about 20 years older than we were.  (Coincidentally it's the Habs bar; I wondered if there's a BoSox bar in New York City; or a Celtics bar in Los Angeles.)  Anyhow I had a great time; thanks guys.  :cheers:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

A good time was had by all, and we didn't get caught sneaking into the biohazard zone in the Anatomy Department!

Meet pic in the relevant place (let me know if you want it here or not).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on April 19, 2019, 07:28:47 AM
It was the most Canadian experience possible, given the circumstances.  :Canuck:

(Except that no one ordered a Caesar.)

It was nice to see that they did repurpose Maple Leaf Gardens; even if it was only a grocery store (and university).  Detroit's old sports venues (The Olympia and Tiger Stadium) are all gone.  UT has some really neat buildings; I thought the neo-Gothic buildings from the 19th century were especially well done.  In a lot of cases, in that era, architects went wild with ornametnation and made their building a riot of gothicness.  These were considerably more restrained.

Sask managed to find the only bar in Toronto where we were seated at the kid's table.  All the other patrons were about 20 years older than we were.  (Coincidentally it's the Habs bar; I wondered if there's a BoSox bar in New York City; or a Celtics bar in Los Angeles.)  Anyhow I had a great time; thanks guys.  :cheers:

Apparently there's a Jets bar in Toronto, owned by the former singer of Canadian band the Watchmen (and not coincidentally originally from Winnipeg), which fills up with Jets fans for every game.

Glad you had a fun time, too bad HVC and Josephus couldn't make it.  It's been 10 years now since Grey Fox and I crashed at Malthus' house for the weekend for a similar meet-up. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

Quote from: Malthus on April 19, 2019, 02:36:43 PM
A good time was had by all, and we didn't get caught sneaking into the biohazard zone in the Anatomy Department!

Meet pic in the relevant place (let me know if you want it here or not).

This place is fine for the pix. :)

@ BB. I heard of that place, had to look it up. It's in Parkdale, which is a bit far to go to drink PBR on draft  :ccr

Savonarola

Yeah, I don't object to posting the pictures here.

Malthus

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Note the difference between the ruddy Florida burgundy skin tone and the more delicate Ontario pink.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2019, 10:20:26 AM
Alrighty, here goes:

Damn, but you guy still look relative young not old.  :hmm:

PS  I think I've mixed up you and Sav; are you on the left?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"