How much should I care about this political scandal?

Started by Barrister, March 18, 2019, 01:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on March 19, 2019, 03:35:12 PM
I am shocked that a Conservative politician is corrupt.  :bowler:

No shock over Liberal corruption in Ottawa? :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2019, 03:46:43 PM

Umm BB, your thread is about the scandal in Alberta.  In fact you specifically asked us whether you should care about the Alberta scandal.

And really, you have started with the "but what about" Trumpist response. :P

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2019, 03:51:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2019, 03:46:43 PM

Umm BB, your thread is about the scandal in Alberta.  In fact you specifically asked us whether you should care about the Alberta scandal.

And really, you have started with the "but what about" Trumpist response. :P

Sasks showed up for the first time in a long while - I wanted his take on LavScam.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2019, 01:53:07 AM
I think there's a difference between trying to convince a person not to vote (fair game!)
No, it's not.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on March 19, 2019, 05:32:32 PM
No, it's not.

The connection between not voting and delegitimization of democracy is pretty ephemeral.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2019, 05:37:40 PM
The connection between not voting and delegitimization of democracy is pretty ephemeral.
That's an extraordinary claim.

Razgovory

What would a Democracy look like if nobody voted?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2019, 06:35:31 PM

If one person voted it would look like a dictatorship.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2019, 06:41:37 PM

And if only one group in society voted - say affluent, older white voters - well we call that conservative strategy.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on March 19, 2019, 03:15:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2019, 03:03:53 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on March 19, 2019, 11:10:17 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2019, 01:53:07 AMI think there's a difference between trying to convince a person not to vote (fair game!)

Back in my more activist days, I used to think that. But no longer, not with declining participation rates. The crisis of democracy requires us to empower the democratic process, and that means encouraging everyone to vote - and to participate more largely. In our moment of "victory, no matter the cost", we need to appreciate anew the value of the process itself, over the result. And convincing a person not to vote is always done in a somewhat disingenuous way.
the Parti (and Bloc) Québécois used to call me each election, reminding me how important it was too vote.  Until I told them I voted for the other guys.

There is the old belief that high voter turn out helps left of centre parties more than right wing ones, so it may make sense that  Conservative parties would see the benefits of voter suppression and be more willing to engage in it.
nah, I think it's too simplistic.

Urban centers tend to be mostly center of the left in America&US.  Countryside tends to be more conservative.  The Liberal Party (both of them) used to send a van, with their party logo well painted, get my grandparents to vote (it wasn't unique to them ;) ).  They used to do this with lots of elderly people because they were traditionnaly "redder".

If older, more conservative people vote and young voters feel they have something better to do, you have low voter turnout with a conservative tint.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2019, 06:59:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2019, 06:41:37 PM

And if only one group in society voted - say affluent, older white voters - well we call that conservative strategy.
in here, we call this Liberal strategy. :)
Along with nationalizing lots of immigrants with Canada flags everywhere just before an election or a referendum and reminding them how the Liberal Party truly embraces the Canadian values they want to be part of.
Or courting the religious extremist vote.

Yeah, basically, each party has their own tactics.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Think about how you'd react if a political opponent did this and adjust your outrage appropriately.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point