The Cars You've Driven and How They've Changed Over Time.

Started by mongers, March 18, 2019, 09:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

My first car: a Chrysler K-car, I bought from my father in law, when I got tired of backpacking groceries and laundry. It was a terrible car, but it took an amazing amount of beating and kept going - including being crushed, in our driveway, by a turning bus.  :lol: Eventually it rusted past the point of safety.

Second car was a used Ford Taurus. Seemed okay, certainly a lot larger inside. My wife totaled it on the highway (fortunately no-one was hurt).

Latest car, first one I bought new, is a Subaru Forester. Very good car for what I use it for - in particular, with its drive, I don't get stuck in snowbanks while going cross-country skiing, which tended to happen with the previous two cars. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2019, 04:01:10 PM
Quote from: frunk on March 19, 2019, 03:55:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2019, 03:50:05 PM

It absolutely is closer to a SUV - that's why it's called a crossover - a cross between a car and a truck-based SUV.  It's no longer than a Civic, since it's the same car underneath.  It's just taller.

But if you want a Civic with AWD, the only option is the CR-V.

There's also the HR-V, which is between a Civic and a CR-V and can come with AWD.

Huh - not familiar with it.  You're right, it might be what Viper would like.  It's more like a 4 door hatch.
I might buy a Subaru next.  I just don't like these crossovers/hatchback/SUVs.
I like small cars with a lot of oomph! in the engine.
I really don't need a computer to hold the steering wheel for me, and anyway, it's useless as soon as there's snow.
I don't need auto-dimming mirrors, I can live without the constant collision alert but the adaptive cruise control is real nice though.
Basically, lots of useless tech for me on this car.  But I got it for less than an inferior model, so, I got it.  It gives me a small taste of the rich&famous :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

1973 Plymouth Duster 340: Molar A-Body with their best small block v8. Still wish I had it.

1984 Dodge Colt: workhorse

1984 Dodge W150 SWB Currently contemplating restoring

1995 Mazda Protege: decent car

1977 Aspen RT: currently tore down

1991 Mustang LX 5.0: fun car with manual 5 speed and 4.10 rear gears

2002 SS Camaro LS1: Sweet ride

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 219k miles and still going strong

1980 Dodge Mirada: fair weather car. Converted it to fuel injection a couple of years ago

2015 Ford Focus ST: Quick and fast

still owned

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on March 23, 2019, 11:27:15 AM
1973 Plymouth Duster 340: Molar A-Body with their best small block v8. Still wish I had it.

1984 Dodge Colt: workhorse

1984 Dodge W150 SWB Currently contemplating restoring

1995 Mazda Protege: decent car

1977 Aspen RT: currently tore down

1991 Mustang LX 5.0: fun car with manual 5 speed and 4.10 rear gears

2002 SS Camaro LS1: Sweet ride

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 219k miles and still going strong

1980 Dodge Mirada: fair weather car. Converted it to fuel injection a couple of years ago

2015 Ford Focus ST: Quick and fast

still owned

:cool:

Some nice characterful cars there, 11B4V.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Admiral Yi

I'm surprised by the number of Dodges.  Dodge always seemed like the least gearhead brand.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2019, 10:51:22 PM
I'm surprised by the number of Dodges.  Dodge always seemed like the least gearhead brand.

Actually the opposite.