Philadelphia Bans ‘Cashless’ Stores Amid Growing Backlash

Started by jimmy olsen, March 09, 2019, 10:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 12, 2019, 12:05:21 AM

I think I remember a story from when I was in my teens about a guy who'd been collecting quarters his whole life and he paid for a pickup truck with them, it was like 10 or 12 thousand dollars worth. They accepted it, but I guess they could have chosen not to.

It was probably good publicity for the dealership.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 11, 2019, 05:38:24 PM
I once worked in the general services of a bank's HQ (basically, we handled money transfers between branches, counted bills and retired soiled and used bills to be sent to the Bank of Canada to be destroyed). When I was there, the question arose from a branch, where a guy, convinced that people were required by law to accept legal tender, had decided to pay his alimony in pennies. Which means this asshole preferred to pay for containers (huge blue plastic bins), transportation, and even a crane to dump that in front of his ex's driveway rather than pay upfront. Upon assurances from counsel, we could tell this branch manager that his client, the ex, could safely refuse that payment and request the whole thing to be removed from her property.

(Another similar asshole used soiled boxers as check for alimony. That one was technically legal. We just refused to handle them).

One of my dad's uncle had a reputation for avarice.  Actually, not a reputation, it was totally true.

My mother was working for the School board, where they were collecting taxes.  He always came paying his taxes with 1 cent, and they had to accept it, apparently.  She hated him.  (with other good reasons too)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point