Daylight Saving Time Is Not the Enemy. Standard Time Is

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2019, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extend DST? Eliminate it? Keep it the same?

Daylight saving time should be extended year round.
8 (53.3%)
Daylight saving time should be eliminated.
4 (26.7%)
Keep things the same as they are now.
2 (13.3%)
Other, please explain
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2019, 09:11:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2019, 09:07:26 AM
Yes, we need daylight saving all the time. No one should care if the sun gets up at 9 am in the winter.

I think the opposite. It is safer to have light during people's commutes. Standard time all the time would be better.

But hey, either way is alright. Just pick one.
Better to have light for the commute back when you're tired from work.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2019, 07:51:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2019, 09:11:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2019, 09:07:26 AM
Yes, we need daylight saving all the time. No one should care if the sun gets up at 9 am in the winter.

I think the opposite. It is safer to have light during people's commutes. Standard time all the time would be better.

But hey, either way is alright. Just pick one.
Better to have light for the commute back when you're tired from work.

People aren't tired early in the morning?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I live right on the edge of the Eastern/Central time boundary.  Therefore, around the summer solstice it's still daylight at 10 pm.  I like that so I'm in favor of doing nothing to change that.  But I do agree daylight savings time is lame.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2019, 08:11:40 PM
I live right on the edge of the Eastern/Central time boundary.  Therefore, around the summer solstice it's still daylight at 10 pm.  I like that so I'm in favor of doing nothing to change that.  But I do agree daylight savings time is lame.

I like that too, travelling home late in high summer, especially on a train is just nice with a 9.25pm sunset with few other passengers.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on March 13, 2019, 10:37:10 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2019, 08:11:40 PM

I like that too, travelling home late in high summer, especially on a train is just nice with a 9.25pm sunset with few other passengers.

I miss Whitehorse summers, where the sun sets after 11pm, and the sky never truly gets dark, just a long extended twilight.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.