Daylight Saving Time Is Not the Enemy. Standard Time Is

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2019, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extend DST? Eliminate it? Keep it the same?

Daylight saving time should be extended year round.
8 (53.3%)
Daylight saving time should be eliminated.
4 (26.7%)
Keep things the same as they are now.
2 (13.3%)
Other, please explain
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

jimmy olsen

Fuck standard time! 

https://slate.com/technology/2019/03/in-defense-daylight-saving-time.html

QuoteDaylight Saving Time Is Not the Enemy

Do you hate losing an hour of sleep this weekend? Blame Standard Time.

By MARK JOSEPH STERN

MARCH 08, 20195:28 PM

If you're going to complain, get it right.

Twice a year, Americans come together to complain about time. In November, we set our clocks back and complain that we will now have to suffer shorter days, facing the gloom of an afternoon sunset. In March, we set our clocks forward and complain about a lost hour of sleep, as well as darker mornings when we wake up. These gripes are all perfectly fair. What is unjust, however, is the unlikely scapegoat for these grievances: Daylight Saving Time. Many Americans have come to blame DST for their clock- and sunset-based woes. If you are one of them, I am here to tell you that you are dangerously mistaken.

Let's begin with a review of terms that everyone should know but hardly anybody does. When we "spring forward" this weekend, we will be entering DST—the period between March and November when the sun sets later in the day. When we "fall back" in November, we will enter Standard Time—the period between November and March when the sun sets earlier.

Our collective failure to grasp this basic terminology has led to a lot of confusion. Every November, countless Americans condemn DST because they conflate it with Standard Time. They think that the dreaded winter months of early sunsets and seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, are the fault of DST. I understand why: It is not obvious why daylight is "saved" when it is backloaded toward the end of the day. The terms are ambiguous, which leads would-be critics of Standard Time to unleash their anguish on their true ally, DST.

To see how widespread this misapprehension is, look at coverage of California's Proposition 7, which easily passed in 2018. The Los Angeles Times described the measure as "ending daylight saving time"; CBS called it "the first step of abolishing" DST. That is incorrect, as these outlets would've known if they'd read the proposition, which is titled the Permanent Daylight Saving Time Measure. As that name indicates, the measure permits the state Legislature to implement year-round DST by a two-thirds vote after obtaining federal approval. The media's inability to articulate the proposition's purpose may have led to voter bewilderment, as illustrated in the CBS article, which features a California resident who asserts: "I don't like Daylight Saving Time. It disrupts me every fall." Given that DST begins in the spring, this Californian probably meant to assail Standard Time but inadvertently contributed to anti-DST fervor.

Standard Time amplifies the pain of winter by ushering in nighttime halfway through the afternoon.
I have no doubt that some Americans legitimately dislike DST—not just the change of clocks, but the redistribution of sunlight from morning to afternoon. The best defense of this position is that DST may require children to go to school in the dark. That is true, but the issue here isn't DST: It's America's outrageous school schedule. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention declared that most schools start too early, contributing to poor health in adolescents. Earlier school start times are linked to depression and anxiety in teenagers, as well as chronic sleep deprivation. Early start times also disadvantage young students, lowering their academic performance. It is absurd to blame DST on a problem created by the American school system. If more schools took the American Academy of Pediatrics' advice and refused to start class before 8:30 a.m., DST would pose no impediment to schoolchildren.

For the record, I am not a defender of our current system. It is irritating to reset clocks—especially those embedded in household appliances, whose cryptic instructions seem designed to thwart our puny human desire to know what time it is. And it may be perilous to lose an hour of sleep: Deadly car crashes, heart attacks, and workplace injuries all appear to increase after we "spring forward." But the solution is not to end DST; it is to extend DST year-round. (There may be other benefits, including reduced crime, though it doesn't seem to reduce energy usage.) California had the right idea by passing Proposition 7. So did many of the 73,781 people who signed this petition to end DST—but wrote comments demonstrating that they really want to abolish Standard Time. ("I own a child care, every year we have children crying because, 'it's getting dark and mommy or daddy have not picked me up yet.' " Blame Standard Time, kids!)

I'll admit that I am no impartial observer here. I suffer from SAD and spiral into fatigue and distress every winter unless I plant myself under a sunlamp and trick my brain into thinking we're back in Florida. (Incidentally, my home state has passed a bill to implement permanent DST pending federal approval, the only good piece of legislation to emerge from Tallahassee so far this century.) I feel pathetic crawling under the sunlamp just to feel like a normal human, and I blame Standard Time. Yes, winter will always be unpleasant for those of us who are not vampires. But Standard Time amplifies the pain by ushering in nighttime halfway through the afternoon. I can stomach D.C. sunsets around 6 p.m. for a few weeks. But total darkness at 4:49 p.m.? Kill me. I'd rather take my chances among Florida's sun-loving, gun-toting baby boomers.

I am convinced that a majority of America would be with me on the clock question if they could master the distinction between DST and Standard Time. Our inability to hold Standard Time responsible for the crime of early sunsets has polluted the conversation to the point that even Ellen DeGeneres has it twisted. This weekend, please direct your complaints at Standard Time, and don't fault DST for giving us eight months of sunshine. Embrace it. And when soul-crushing afternoon darkness returns in November, remember who the real enemies are: Standard Time and all the misguided fools who seek to expand its tyranny.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I have always thought that we should move the time between -1/0/+1 hour each month to show man's inhumanity to man.  But that is just my artistic statement.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

frunk

Quote from: PDH on March 08, 2019, 09:33:02 PM
I have always thought that we should move the time between -1/0/+1 hour each month to show man's inhumanity to man.  But that is just my artistic statement.

Everybody rolls a d20 each day, change your personal clock by -10 to +10 minutes each day.

HisMajestyBOB

We should only go back one hour, and never go forward.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Idiots here want to switch all :frusty: year-long to GMT/UTC+2, so 2 hours ahead of the sun in average. Daylight Saving Time good for Berlin and Central Europe only.
Should UTC or UTC+1 (latter is the current standard time).

Maladict

I'm for keeping DST all year round. But then again I'm a night owl and my mornings are miserable regardless of the amount of daylight.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2019, 10:41:24 AM
Why can't we all not just use GMT.

As in, just one time for the whole world, and localities just adjust to match local daylight hours?

Probably more confusing than it is worth.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.