News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sell the North to pay for the South

Started by viper37, February 19, 2019, 02:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

$1 trillion? Our national debt is like $15 trillion. Our annual deficit is around $800 billion. If we are going to sell of states we should get more than a year or two of deficit spending.

However, if we are going to blow a bunch of money on the military anyway, maybe we could finance deficit reduction by liberating some of those Canadian oil fields...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

We'd probably have to pay someone to take New Jersey.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2019, 08:02:19 PM
However, if we are going to blow a bunch of money on the military anyway, maybe we could finance deficit reduction by liberating some of those Canadian oil fields...
Trump is too lazy to invade a country himself.  He'll ask Russia to do it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 19, 2019, 05:21:05 PM
Also, Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is going to blow up.  Sell it now, so the US won't be responsible for the damages.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

$1 trillion? Our national debt is like $15 trillion. Our annual deficit is around $800 billion. If we are going to sell of states we should get more than a year or two of deficit spending.

Please please please do it.  But you will find the oil sands are not entirely feasible without a pipeline to the coast.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 19, 2019, 08:22:24 PM
Yeah, who wants a US state with the third most developed humans in the US?  :rolleyes:

Monoriu

If you want to sell, may as well do an auction to sell to the highest bidder.  I suspect that Canada won't win in such a scenario.  China or Saudi Arabia will probably get it. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on February 20, 2019, 11:04:09 PM
Quote from: dps on February 19, 2019, 08:22:24 PM
Yeah, who wants a US state with the third most developed humans in the US?  :rolleyes:

Bronzer doesn't make a person more developed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

Why not just give awaysell the South instead?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Quote from: Maximus on February 20, 2019, 11:38:19 PM

We tried that and you morons made us stay.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on February 21, 2019, 08:53:22 AM
Quote from: Maximus on February 20, 2019, 11:38:19 PM

We tried that and you morons made us stay.

As a slave, I lacked agency.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2019, 06:29:21 PM

Please please please do it.  But you will find the oil sands are not entirely feasible without a pipeline to the coast.
Once it's there, they'll send the army to clear up any indian opposition to a pipeline.  It worked before.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.