News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2019 thread

Started by mongers, February 18, 2019, 08:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: saskganesh on July 13, 2019, 08:54:12 PM
Yes. But 42 K is a long way to run. Eventually. Once.

Go for the half! It's a good distance.

I've walked three half-marathons. I want to try to run one, now. And I think a year of practice should get me there.... right?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on July 13, 2019, 09:29:21 PM

I've walked three half-marathons. I want to try to run one, now. And I think a year of practice should get me there.... right?

Go for it Meri, I'm sure you could do it, unlike my decrepitude.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

saskganesh

Quote from: merithyn on July 13, 2019, 09:29:21 PM

yep. lots of people do this. Here's one 12 week plan: https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a25887045/beginner-half-marathon-training-schedule/

Note that it has lots of rest days, which are important.
humans were created in their own image

Iormlund

Quote from: merithyn on July 13, 2019, 08:11:54 PM
Are you looking to do a marathon, Sask?

I'm thinking that starting in December, I'm going to try to do a 5k a month, and finish the year with a half-marathon. That'll give me just over 50 miles run in competitions in my 50th year. :D

A half-marathon. Yikes! I'd probably croak in the first km.

Though I finally decided to get on the waiting list to fix my minor congenital heart condition, so that might not necessarily hold true in a year or so. Can't say I'm looking forward to being perfectly awake while they do their stuff.  :XD:

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on July 13, 2019, 07:59:42 PM
Ran 25K for the first time since early winter. It took me 2 1/2 hrs, with water breaks and traffic lights. Felt good. If I could only make 30....

Now have beer and a cavernous stomach.

Ugggg....that is so far, just thinking about running that distance makes me hurt. How much pain are you in?

I just did a 10k in 49:14...someday i want to get down to ~45 minutes but I don't want to put in the work so...

I'm backing off running a bit to focus more on strength training and rock climbing. We will see what happens the next 6 months.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on July 13, 2019, 09:28:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2019, 08:47:26 PM
I think I have diabetes.

What makes you think this?

Tests results from a medical exam last week.  I go back this week to find out more.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

saskganesh

Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2019, 08:48:38 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 13, 2019, 07:59:42 PM
Ran 25K for the first time since early winter. It took me 2 1/2 hrs, with water breaks and traffic lights. Felt good. If I could only make 30....

Now have beer and a cavernous stomach.

Ugggg....that is so far, just thinking about running that distance makes me hurt. How much pain are you in?

I just did a 10k in 49:14...someday i want to get down to ~45 minutes but I don't want to put in the work so...

I'm backing off running a bit to focus more on strength training and rock climbing. We will see what happens the next 6 months.

Pain was not bad at all. Just fatigued. Woke up and went on a slowww 60K bike ride, which had many breaks and took me 5 hours.

My best 10K was 46:30. I also did a 8k in 39:01. But those were a few years ago. I haven't been in a chip race for a few years as I'm usually just running for the zen.
humans were created in their own image

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2019, 09:49:25 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 13, 2019, 09:28:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2019, 08:47:26 PM
I think I have diabetes.

What makes you think this?

Tests results from a medical exam last week.  I go back this week to find out more.

I was diagnosed as diabetic two years ago. I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice, but if I can help, let me know.

mongers

Not doing a whole lot of exercise these last few days, so much so I had to go and do 25 miles on the bike yesterday, simply to ward of the aches, pains and stiffening that comes with old age.  :(

It seemed to work; use it or lose it, I guess.

edit:
NB all us slackers, thread 'rescued' from page 3.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Don't worry, mongers. I'm doing enough for both of us right now. :lol:

I'm still walking between 7-10 miles a day, plus I've added 50-100 squats a day. Yesterday, I did all of that and went kayaking for 90 minutes.

Down to 155; only 20 more to go. My waist is still making me mad, but I've added the squats to build up some tush to help with that hip-to-waist ratio my doctor keeps yammering on about.

merithyn

I'm so frustrated. :mad:

I've lost 30 pounds and five inches off my waist, and I'm *still* considered high-risk because my hip-to-waist ratio is still well above the desired 0.80 at 0.88. I still have another 20 pounds or so to lose, but even so, this is getting really old.

To date, I'm averaging around 7.5 pounds lost per month. Another three months, and I'll be at goal. Maybe then that stupid ratio will finally be "healthy". :(

crazy canuck

Wow, you are doing great. Keep it up  :)

merithyn

Status report, gang! How are you doing?

I'm not walking as much as I was doing, primarily because I'm busy with moving my son out of the apartment and rearranging things, so a lot of moving crap. Great cardio, anyway. Still walking around five miles a day, but not the 7-10 I aim for.

What about you guys? Sticking with your exercise plans?

alfred russel

I set 8 goals for the year, with a minimum acceptable achievement of 5 and a target of 6. So far I've achieved 1.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2019, 01:52:04 PM
I set 8 goals for the year, with a minimum acceptable achievement of 5 and a target of 6. So far I've achieved 1.  :hmm:

You've got four months left! ^_^