News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2019 thread

Started by mongers, February 18, 2019, 08:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on March 28, 2019, 03:38:28 PM
But I guess difficult reading for some people.

Yeah, it is bad news for people who think exercise is optional at middle age.

regarding your distances on the bike, how long does your usual excursion take?

PRC

Quote from: mongers on March 28, 2019, 03:39:51 PM
Done 220 km on the bike over the last six evenings, nice to get a bit back into the swing of things.  :)

What kind of bike are you riding?  I assume road bike, but what model...

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2019, 04:16:13 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 28, 2019, 03:38:28 PM
But I guess difficult reading for some people.

Yeah, it is bad news for people who think exercise is optional at middle age.

regarding your distances on the bike, how long does your usual excursion take?

With stops for photos etc, 3.75 hrs for salisbury on saturday, this evening 1.5 hrs for a local shop mainly off-road there and back.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: PRC on March 28, 2019, 04:50:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 28, 2019, 03:39:51 PM
Done 220 km on the bike over the last six evenings, nice to get a bit back into the swing of things.  :)

What kind of bike are you riding?  I assume road bike, but what model...

I generally use hybrid bikes, currently one I bodged up out of spare bits, has 28 mm tyres, probably put on some armoured 32 mm later for better going on off-road section.

If I'm using trains a fair bit, I'll stop taking a hybrid and take the folder.   :bowler:

Liep

1000m climbing in one day, I definitely feel my form improving but that might have been overdoing it. Beautiful ride though along parts of what I think was the old railway line between Madrid and Córdoba. 
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 03, 2019, 01:34:02 PM
1000m climbing in one day, I definitely feel my form improving but that might have been overdoing it. Beautiful ride though along parts of what I think was the old railway line between Madrid and Córdoba.

:cool:

Liep, that sounds like a very nice ride.   :)

Eddie Teach

You're still in Spain, eh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

saskganesh

Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2019, 08:39:42 PM
I set a pr in a half marathon (1:48:55). Kind of bizarre sine it was a hard course and I used to run more than I do now. I guess being more active more than offsets the reduced running.

That's awesome Dorsey. Congrats. That's faster than me and you are now the Languish half marathon champion.

I currently have an active job, and am pressed to find enough time to run regularly, esp in the winter. It feels great when I do.
humans were created in their own image

Threviel

I've had this weird cold for a few weeks. There wasn't much sneezing or runny noses, but I've been extremely tired. It hurts in my muscles to do the slightest thing. It has slowly been getting better and now I think I'm ready to start exercising again.

I started by going to the sawmill yesterday. During the winter I've felled the trees that the drought has damaged and yesterday it was time to saw it up into timber. I plan on building a small workshop in an old fashioned way, doing my own windows and everything else out of wood. Some dude not far from here has a small sawmill so we went there. I can tell you it's hard work sawing, pulling the trees onto the table, righting them up correctly with the saw and then turning them around a few times before it's done.

So today I'm hurting all over, good exercise for the entire body.

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on April 10, 2019, 05:16:21 AM
I've had this weird cold for a few weeks. There wasn't much sneezing or runny noses, but I've been extremely tired. It hurts in my muscles to do the slightest thing. It has slowly been getting better and now I think I'm ready to start exercising again.

I started by going to the sawmill yesterday. During the winter I've felled the trees that the drought has damaged and yesterday it was time to saw it up into timber. I plan on building a small workshop in an old fashioned way, doing my own windows and everything else out of wood. Some dude not far from here has a small sawmill so we went there. I can tell you it's hard work sawing, pulling the trees onto the table, righting them up correctly with the saw and then turning them around a few times before it's done.

So today I'm hurting all over, good exercise for the entire body.

You should start up an exercise routine themed around the 'Sawmill Workout'. Some people jump any new exercise fad,  you could end up making a couple of million.   :)

Threviel

The trouble with that is that my hand sometimes was decimeters from the saw. I wouldn't trust that the fad people could handle that.

mongers

Liep, all told just how successful was your Iberian adventure?

Liep

Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2019, 08:08:16 PM

I'd say very. Mostly great weather and landscape, my form has improved dramatically, I've eaten very well and met some fun people on the way.

Pictures to follow.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 13, 2019, 10:42:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2019, 08:08:16 PM

I'd say very. Mostly great weather and landscape, my form has improved dramatically, I've eaten very well and met some fun people on the way.

Pictures to follow.

Excellent, glad you a had a good time.

mongers

Rescued from the 3rd or 4th page. :whistle: