News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2019 thread

Started by mongers, February 18, 2019, 08:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Apparently increased muscle flexibility doesn't necessarily translate to better performance or reduced risk of injury. But opinions are very divided on the subject.

For me, keeping my muscles warm for a couple of hours after a hard workout is much more effective than stretching. To each their own, I guess.

celedhring

Regarding stretching I admit I do very little of it (5-10 minutes after weightlifting), and I've never had muscle injuries of any kind - I used to have lots of back troubles but those have mostly gone away since I started exercising regularly.

Maybe I'll regret it when I'm older, dunno.

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on February 28, 2019, 05:13:44 AM
Apparently increased muscle flexibility doesn't necessarily translate to better performance or reduced risk of injury. But opinions are very divided on the subject.

For me, keeping my muscles warm for a couple of hours after a hard workout is much more effective than stretching. To each their own, I guess.

I'm really adamant about stretching after a really hard run. My anecdotal experience is that it dramatically reduces soreness the next day.

Pre exercise, i do very light stretching - like 45 seconds unless i find some thing is unusually tight. Basically just to figure out if everything is okay. Unless I'm doing something that is going to be super explosive, I don't see the point. If I am doing something super explosive, then I do the same activity at an easier rate to warm up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Most people do it wrong, so I am not surprised by anecdotal stories about it not helping.  There was once a time when static stretching was primarily used (and that is what I see a lot of people still doing).  That is now recognized as not beneficial and dynamic stretching is the way to go.  The purpose of stretching pre workout is to get the blood (and oxygen) moving to the parts of your body you are about to put strain on.  After the workout the purpose is to maintain flexibility.  Both are important to maintain range of motion and reduce risk of injury.

Not really.  There is agreement about the benefits of dynamic stretching.

Threviel

I don't stretch myself and like Maladict I don't see the point. But i haven't  heard about this dynamic thingy. Any good reading up links?

Today I fixed up my old mountain bike. The gears don't run perfect, but the rear wheel gears are smooth and I can get it into any gear with some work. The issue is in the "gear handle" and it's to fragile to open and fix.  I'll see if I can get it out a few times, running is hard on the knees.

crazy canuck

It really depends on what activity you are warming up for.

The other advantage is, for a large range of athletic activities, moving from static to dynamic stretching increases performance.  Since you don't stretch that won't mean much to you but it indicates the difference between the two.  I first learned about it when my boys started doing their athletics at a high level and one of their coaches explained to me that static stretching before a game actually decreased vertical over a short period of time.

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on February 28, 2019, 01:59:56 PM
I don't stretch myself and like Maladict I don't see the point. But i haven't  heard about this dynamic thingy. Any good reading up links?

Today I fixed up my old mountain bike. The gears don't run perfect, but the rear wheel gears are smooth and I can get it into any gear with some work. The issue is in the "gear handle" and it's to fragile to open and fix.  I'll see if I can get it out a few times, running is hard on the knees.

:cool:

Good luck.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

I do dynamic stretching prior to a workout tailored to what the actual workout is. Once the main workout is done, I do static passive stretching.

2-3 times a week I do PNF stretching after static passive stretching.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2019, 12:39:36 PM
Most people do it wrong, so I am not surprised by anecdotal stories about it not helping.  There was once a time when static stretching was primarily used (and that is what I see a lot of people still doing).  That is now recognized as not beneficial and dynamic stretching is the way to go.  The purpose of stretching pre workout is to get the blood (and oxygen) moving to the parts of your body you are about to put strain on.  After the workout the purpose is to maintain flexibility.  Both are important to maintain range of motion and reduce risk of injury.

Not really.  There is agreement about the benefits of dynamic stretching.

CC you are correct. Dynamic before and static passive stretching after.

For the nonstretchers;
https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/new-ideas-on-proper-stretching-techniques#1

Basically;
Warm-up: Joint rotations etc.
Dynamic stretching
Main workout
Cool Down: Static passive stretching
PNF or also called Isometric stretching optional after cooldown.

There is truckloads of research that's been out there for decades.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

For the nonstretchers there are basically these categories of stretching;

Static Passive
Static Active
Dynamic
PNF
Ballistic

celedhring

I do a bit of dynamic before working out, and a bit of passive after. But it's really little, like 5 minutes each block, if even that.  :blush:

celedhring

I also had this trainer that made me stretch the relevant muscles/joints after each series, but I was never too sure of that to be honest.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2019, 06:16:14 AM
I also had this trainer that made me stretch the relevant muscles/joints after each series, but I was never too sure of that to be honest.

I do that for my shoulders when I do lifts that directly engage them. It's not much, just a few seconds, but I find it really helps keep the mobility and avoid stiffness and pain in the joint.  I also do dynamic stretching in between squats at the squat rack, each set gets better in terms of my mobility and getting ass to grass.

mongers

bump.

Not doing a lot myself.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Threviel

I've been running on the treadmill and also cycling with the mtb in the forest. It's absolutely awful, I could barely walk afterwards, so apparently I need the training.

I've also been doing some exercise with a big ball, situps and stuff like that. Also horrible, my stomach was convulsing for days afterwards, so apparently I need the training.

I've come to the conclusion that I am in quite bad shape, but no injuries yet, so the training continues.