Main Menu

Fitness 2019 thread

Started by mongers, February 18, 2019, 08:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on February 19, 2019, 02:49:00 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 19, 2019, 02:42:39 PM
The "sitting disease"?

My doctor, a lovely fellow, regards what I do for a living - waiter- quite highly for this reason. Scampering about constantly, bending , reaching, crouching and so on. The current place, very fancy has three floors so I've added dashing up and down stairs in the last 18 months as well.

My Doctor is a former waiter though, so it could be bias.

:cool:

I should give that a try.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Threviel

Quote from: Iormlund on February 19, 2019, 04:23:32 PM
I've never been this fat (~10 kg overweight). I've tried to switch to a diet with more veggies, but it invariably ends in significant intestinal pain.  :pinch:

I've started going out on the bike and swimming, but as mentioned by others, I find it really boring. Can't realistically bike my way to work either, since it'd be a two hour trip each way.

If weight is the only issue you could try weight watchers or a calorie counter. I had a lot of success with that and I didn't have to change what I ate.

mongers

Barely done a couple of hundred miles a month on the bike this winter.  :Embarrass:

saskganesh

Shitty winter here. Running has slowed down, become irregular, inconsistent, because of recurring ice, snush and sidewalk treachery.

Hence, ran out of gas on Sunday's long run at the 22 km mark. :P
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on February 25, 2019, 12:42:10 PM
Shitty winter here. Running has slowed down, become irregular, inconsistent, because of recurring ice, snush and sidewalk treachery.

Sasks, that's a pretty decent distance for a Winter run, even before you're extenuation circumstances.

Threviel

I was out with the chainsaw in the forest all day yesterday and today I went running for 5 km. It feels hard on my old broken body, but spirits are high. I was only going to run for 30 mins, but it actually felt good to exhaust myself, so I ran for 5 minutes more to the 5 km mark.

I try to increase the speed with 0.2 km/h every time I run and so far so good.

saskganesh

Quote from: mongers on February 25, 2019, 02:32:48 PM

Sasks, that's a pretty decent distance for a Winter run, even before you're extenuation circumstances.

I'm teasing and bragging. I did hit 25 K in late December, before winter really started.

I'm trying to build up to making a true marathon possible. But I have never made my body run for 4 hours, only 2 and a half. It's hard to scale up.

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on February 27, 2019, 02:35:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 25, 2019, 02:32:48 PM

I'm teasing and bragging. I did hit 25 K in late December, before winter really started.

I'm trying to build up to making a true marathon possible. But I have never made my body run for 4 hours, only 2 and a half. It's hard to scale up.

But do able, no? at your age.

Wish you luck, I'm sure you'll get there once you throw off the winter cobwebs.

saskganesh

Its still quite possible.

I've managed to get off the cigarets and now only vape (mostly). I am a horrible addict. But it should help.

11B4V

Any of you all use/used a foam roller as part of your stretching routine? Opinions?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on February 27, 2019, 06:33:47 PM
Any of you all use/used a foam roller as part of your stretching routine? Opinions?

Can't help you there buddy, I know stretching is an important part of exercise, but I never seem to get around to it.

crazy canuck

Yep, most important piece of equipment you will ever use.

btw, get a hard foam roller, not one of those squishy ones.  I also recommend you  get one that is smooth - not one with the foam spikes.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2019, 07:21:21 PM

Yep, most important piece of equipment you will ever use.

btw, get a hard foam roller, not one of those squishy ones.  I also recommend you  get one that is smooth - not one with the foam spikes.

Thanks
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on February 27, 2019, 07:07:15 PM

Can't help you there buddy, I know stretching is an important part of exercise, but I never seem to get around to it.

I've never seen the point of stretching, the only result I've observed is occasionally pulling a muscle while doing it.
Stopped doing it years ago, except halfhearted attempts at spinning class out of politeness.

There's plenty of research supporting the idea that stretching is fairly useless. Unless the point is becoming more flexible, of course.

Threviel

Wouldn't more flexibility help with injuries though? Lessens the risk of pulling a muscle or a ligament or something?