News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2019 thread

Started by mongers, February 18, 2019, 08:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

After 15 years of stormy relationship, my aunt is finally getting married (it's the third time she announces it, but now it looks for reals).

Since I'm her closest male relative, I'm to be the best man. That means I have two months to find a way to fit in my suit...

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2019, 10:13:47 AM
After 15 years of stormy relationship, my aunt is finally getting married (it's the third time she announces it, but now it looks for reals).

Since I'm her closest male relative, I'm to be the best man. That means I have two months to find a way to fit in my suit...

I'm told Spain still has some excellent tradition tailors.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Gym and lettuce are cheaper than bespoke suits  :hmm:

alfred russel

I set a pr in a half marathon (1:48:55). Kind of bizarre sine it was a hard course and I used to run more than I do now. I guess being more active more than offsets the reduced running.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2019, 08:39:42 PM
I set a pr in a half marathon (1:48:55). Kind of bizarre sine it was a hard course and I used to run more than I do now. I guess being more active more than offsets the reduced running.

:cool:

Also maybe a case of 'a change is as good as a rest'?

AR, well you know what I mean, I find trying to do too much of one thing can be a bad idea, so this year I'm scalling back on the amount of bike riding I do. :gasp:

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2019, 09:02:52 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2019, 08:39:42 PM

Also maybe a case of 'a change is as good as a rest'?

AR, well you know what I mean, I find trying to do too much of one thing can be a bad idea, so this year I'm scalling back on the amount of bike riding I do. :gasp:

Well, at the end of the day, I'm a shit runner and always have been (I assume you are the same regarding cycling, if the comparison is to top guys, no offense  :P).

The best runners are putting in more mileage in a week than I would in just about any month, even when I focused on training, and they usually have a morning and evening run. I'm confident that with a proper amount of preparation, that is the best way to get positive results (obviously a guy off the couch is going to be crippled with injuries if jumping into such a program).

I'm not going to do that. However, if I'm going to spend say 5 hours a week on exercise, while really good runners may be putting in a dozen just running, I'm getting better results by not devoting 100% to running. Which is probably reasonable considering the top runners are doing more than just running as well, even if that is the emphasis.

I'm just a bit surprised I set a PR because i didn't shift my training with running in mind, but to shift my focus to climbing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Did battle ropes this morning for the first time in years.  Man that is a good workout.

celedhring

Quote from: celedhring on February 18, 2019, 09:50:41 AM
I'm back to 110 Kg  <_<

I've been extremely sedentary these past 3 months and put on a lot of weight - job has been very intense. I started a proper diet and I'm back going to the gym regularly, so hopefully there will be progress.

Down 2kg in 1 month. So far so good. I guess I'll be able to get to 104 Kg relatively fast - I've been hovering around that weight for the past 2-3 years. After that, it's always been a brick wall.

But I'm determined to make this they year where I go back to double figures.

Liep

120 km along the coast in two days. Pretty tough going as it's windy and very hilly, but a pastel de nata as an after ride snack is making up for it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on March 23, 2019, 10:48:41 AM
120 km along the coast in two days. Pretty tough going as it's windy and very hilly, but a pastel de nata as an after ride snack is making up for it.

This is in Portugal too, so doubly cool. Have a nice trip.

Liep

1340 m ascent so far, nothing I haven't done before but these comes in small hills with like 20% inclines, I'd prefer a proper mountain to this. My legs demand a day off.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on March 24, 2019, 09:45:00 AM
1340 m ascent so far, nothing I haven't done before but these comes in small hills with like 20% inclines, I'd prefer a proper mountain to this. My legs demand a day off.

Damn Liep, I feel for you.  :(

Yeah small sharp hills can be a bugger.

crazy canuck

A new study to encourage us in or approaching middle age, to keep up our fitness programs - taken from the NYTimes

QuoteNot surprisingly, those men and women who had been sedentary throughout their lives were the most likely now to have died, particularly from heart disease.

But those people who always had been active, exercising consistently for a few hours a week, were about 30 to 35 percent less likely to have passed away from any cause and about 40 percent less likely to have died of a heart attack than the consistently inactive people.

More buoying, people who had stopped exercising for a decade or two but begun again during their 40s or 50s, working out then for a few hours a week, shared the same relative protection against premature death as the people who always had exercised.

On the flip side, people who had been active and in shape as teenagers or young adults but sedentary in middle age seemed to lose any longevity benefits. They were as likely as the always-inactive group to have died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/27/well/move/what-your-exercise-habits-might-say-about-how-long-youll-live.html?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2019, 01:26:19 PM
A new study to encourage us in or approaching middle age, to keep up our fitness programs - taken from the NYTimes

QuoteNot surprisingly, those men and women who had been sedentary throughout their lives were the most likely now to have died, particularly from heart disease.

But those people who always had been active, exercising consistently for a few hours a week, were about 30 to 35 percent less likely to have passed away from any cause and about 40 percent less likely to have died of a heart attack than the consistently inactive people.

More buoying, people who had stopped exercising for a decade or two but begun again during their 40s or 50s, working out then for a few hours a week, shared the same relative protection against premature death as the people who always had exercised.

On the flip side, people who had been active and in shape as teenagers or young adults but sedentary in middle age seemed to lose any longevity benefits. They were as likely as the always-inactive group to have died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/27/well/move/what-your-exercise-habits-might-say-about-how-long-youll-live.html?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage

Interesting, CC.

But I guess difficult reading for some people.

mongers

Done 220 km on the bike over the last six evenings, nice to get a bit back into the swing of things.  :)