Main Menu

Fitness 2019 thread

Started by mongers, February 18, 2019, 08:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

That's amazing, well done!

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2019, 02:21:33 PM

Yeah--to be fair, the goals were things to build toward, and if I achieved them in the first few months they wouldn't be very hard goals.

Hey AR, found something for you to climb if you've got a couple of hours:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuma_Rock
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Awesome! Some research shows that people have climbed the face of it...though I can't find a lot of documentation on a route with a difficulty. A 2k foot vertical wall is a time consuming expedition--I've done 800-900 feet, but with the approach and descent it takes ~12 hours typically. For someone like me (assuming the climbing isn't too difficult) this would be multiday, which isn't something I've done before. Maybe in a few years, but hauling the gear to and around Nigeria for a multiday climb is daunting...

You can hike up the backside...I was in Nigeria for work a few years ago...had I known about this I might have done it over the weekend.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on October 24, 2019, 12:40:29 PM
Awesome! Some research shows that people have climbed the face of it...though I can't find a lot of documentation on a route with a difficulty. A 2k foot vertical wall is a time consuming expedition--I've done 800-900 feet, but with the approach and descent it takes ~12 hours typically. For someone like me (assuming the climbing isn't too difficult) this would be multiday, which isn't something I've done before. Maybe in a few years, but hauling the gear to and around Nigeria for a multiday climb is daunting...

You can hike up the backside...I was in Nigeria for work a few years ago...had I known about this I might have done it over the weekend.

AR, I'm glad you liked it.   :)

So it is quite a challenge.

I just came across it randomly on the web and liked the look of it as a mountain, some prominence too.   :cool:

Hamilcar

I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Two broken bones so far. Love it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 25, 2019, 05:29:36 PM

Not what the guy whose bones you broke said.

11B4V

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 25, 2019, 05:29:36 PM

No pain, no gain.. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Hamilcar

Hamilcar

Well, according to my doctor, my pain tolerance is too high. I walked around with a broken thumb for a weekend, putting Voltarene on it because "it wasn't so bad".

mongers

Doing very little at the moment, my bike ride this evening was the first time I'd been on it for five whole days. :gasp:

saskganesh

Haven't ran for a few weeks. Work, weather, shower out at home, usual boring bullshit. I'm on my feet all day anyway, so I feel good. Still, I miss running.

Did a 12 mile valley hike with my friend. We did some quality mushrooms. Saw deer. In downtown Toronto. Not hallucinations, there were other witnesses. Life is good.
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on November 15, 2019, 10:32:49 PM
Haven't ran for a few weeks. Work, weather, shower out at home, usual boring bullshit. I'm on my feet all day anyway, so I feel good. Still, I miss running.

Did a 12 mile valley hike with my friend. We did some quality mushrooms. Saw deer. In downtown Toronto. Not hallucinations, there were other witnesses. Life is good.

:cool:

Sasks, sounds like you're having a right and fine fall. :cheers:

My notable wildlife encounter this week was getting wiped out by a herd of pigs crossing into my path.  :bowler:

11B4V

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 25, 2019, 06:29:47 PM
Well, according to my doctor, my pain tolerance is too high. I walked around with a broken thumb for a weekend, putting Voltarene on it because "it wasn't so bad".

Yea, broken is different than sprained. Ya kind of need that digit in jujitsu. Last week after class we were around and ended up rolling my left big toe on the mat. All I heard was crunch crunch. Was a big split going across the top of the nail. It was deep too, but kind of interesting looking.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Here, I'll gross you all out.

mongers