And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2019 thread

Started by mongers, February 18, 2019, 08:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 02:19:08 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2019, 01:52:04 PM
I set 8 goals for the year, with a minimum acceptable achievement of 5 and a target of 6. So far I've achieved 1.  :hmm:

You've got four months left! ^_^

Yeah--to be fair, the goals were things to build toward, and if I achieved them in the first few months they wouldn't be very hard goals.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on June 29, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2019, 08:24:26 AM
I am in a comfortable groove with my workouts now.  I bench 225 twice a week and in one of those days also add in a static lift set of 405.  One day is devoted to dead lifts and RDLs.  The other days I do a range of strength and flexibility exercises.  Most days I finish off with a few sets of ropes.

Friday is my rest day :)

:thumbsup:

We have enough lifters here now with celed to have a Languish powerlifting meet.

Off to lift something heavy.

New PB, I benched 275 today.  I only tried it because the guy I bench with tried it first, and by some miracle it went up in the air for a couple of reps.

merithyn

I've dropped 30 pounds. My waist has shrunk 4 inches. I'm smaller, more agile, and feel better than I have in years.

Why do I still feel like a big, fat slug? :(

Incentive to drop the next 20, I guess.  :showoff:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Liep

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2019, 01:38:21 PM
I've dropped 30 pounds. My waist has shrunk 4 inches. I'm smaller, more agile, and feel better than I have in years.

Fantastic! :w00t:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2019, 01:38:21 PM

Why do I still feel like a big, fat slug? :(

Incentive to drop the next 20, I guess.  :showoff:

That is fantastic, I am so impressed by your dedication.

Do you think your negative emotions are helping in a perverse way?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2019, 02:31:06 PM
That is fantastic, I am so impressed by your dedication.

I don't have a choice. I have to lose this weight or risk an early grave.

QuoteDo you think your negative emotions are helping in a perverse way?

Yep. I look down at my still-not-unsubstantial belly and go, "Oh damn. Time to walk another three miles."

It's really driving home how big I must have been. I mean, once I hit my goal weight, I will have lost 50-55 pounds. On a 5'2" frame - however larger boned and muscular - that's not an insignificant amount of weight. There's a level of shame in that, too. :(

Valmy

Yeah well I discovered I am very genetically predisposed to type 2 diabetes and am fighting a rather difficult battle staving it off. I get the "fitness because I don't want to die" thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2019, 02:54:26 PM
Yeah well I discovered I am very genetically predisposed to type 2 diabetes and am fighting a rather difficult battle staving it off. I get the "fitness because I don't want to die" thing.

Right now, I am taking medication for:

• Diabetes (not pre-, actual)
  • High blood pressure (3 different kinds of meds)
  • High cholesterol
  • High triglycerides

I have, by definition, something called Metabolic Syndrome, which means I'm apple shaped and will die young unless I get my shit together. Even then, the chances of getting off the meds are slim to none.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/metabolic-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20351916

Valmy

Ok so maybe I don't understand it quite at the level you do. Hopefully we both win our battles into advanced old age.  :hug:

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2019, 03:04:05 PM
Ok so maybe I don't understand it quite at the level you do. Hopefully we both win our battles into advanced old age.  :hug:

Take heart. You're 10 years younger than me and male. Losing weight for you should be easier. You just have to make the commitment. :hug:

alfred russel

I got my EKG results today and it showed a pulse of 46!

I'm so happy about it - I know it is a weird thing to be happy about, but before I went to the doctor I was kind of sad and explained to my girlfriend that I wanted to have a pulse under 50 but I wasn't going to register something so low. When I went for my physical, I walked into the doctor's office and the first thing the nurse did was put a reader on my finger and take my pulse. I registered 72--I tried to quickly relax, but I had just walked in (and not long before up stairs) and I think that elevated my heart rate.

For the EKG though I was laying on a bed for a few minutes.

:showoff:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

Two weeks ago, I started walk/running three miles every other day. I've signed up to do a 5k on Thanksgiving with my sister, and she's been running one 5k a month all year. I'm hoping not to embarrass myself. :blush:

At this point, I'm walking 1/4 mile/running 1/4 mile for 3 miles. This week, I'm going to try to up it to walk 1/4 / run 1/5. Wish me luck!

Oh, on the weight front: still have 20 pounds to lose. I gained three pounds when I first started running, but it's going down again now. Not too stressed over the weight gain since it's probably muscle, but I still have this obnoxious bulge at the top of my stomach that will not go away. :mad:  <_<

merithyn

The difference a year can make. Just another 20 pounds to go!

October 2018 Biometrics:

October 2019 Biometrics:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Wow Meri you are killing it.

I find you inspiring -_-