News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Biggest attack in Kashmir in decades

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2019, 04:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Traffic was blocked by a pro-war demonstration when I was in India recently. Extremely orderly though, especially considering we were in India: despite guys shouting slogans, waving fists, fire in the middle of the street etc they told us we could pass in "10-15 minutes". 10-15 minutes later they let traffic pass again, having showed their support for war.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

A pro-war protest displaying proper military discipline shows their commitment to the cause.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fromtia

"Let's start a war! A nuclear war! at the gay bar gay bar gay bar!"
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Eddie Teach

Support for war against someone in particular or just war in general?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 23, 2019, 01:44:31 PM
Support for war against someone in particular or just war in general?

Of course it's a just war.

Syt

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/25/world/asia/india-pakistan-kashmir-jets.html

QuoteIndian Jets Strike in Pakistan in Revenge for Kashmir Attack

NEW DELHI — Indian warplanes conducted airstrikes in Pakistan on Tuesday, Pakistani officials said, in an escalation of tensions between the nuclear-armed nations after a suicide bombing against Indian troops in the disputed region this month.

If confirmed, it would be the first time that Indian aircraft had crossed the Kashmir Line of Control to strike in years. But it was unclear what, if anything, the attack jets hit on the Pakistani side, raising the possibility that India was making a calculated bet to assuage public anger but minimize the risk of a major Pakistani military response.

A spokesman for Pakistan's armed forces, Maj. Gen. Asif Ghafoor, on Tuesday posted on Twitter four images of a forested area pockmarked with small craters and debris, which he said was the site of Indian airstrikes.

The Indian Foreign Ministry confirmed in a news briefing that a strike had occurred but would give no further details. The Indian news media, quoting local military officials, said Indian Mirage 2000 fighter jets dropped bombs on a "terrorist camp" in Pakistan-controlled territory at 3:30 a.m. local time.

No casualties or damage were reported, General Ghafoor said. The planes dropped the bombs near Balakot, which is close to the disputed border of India and Pakistan.

"Facing timely and effective response from Pakistan Air Force released payload in haste while escaping which fell near Balakot," General Ghafoor wrote.

Tensions have escalated in the Kashmir Valley since a Feb. 14 attack by a suicide bomber who drove an explosive-filled vehicle into a convoy of Indian troops. At least 40 soldiers were killed, the deadliest attack in the region in decades. India blamed Pakistan for the assault.

Though India and Pakistan routinely shell each other across what is known as the Line of Control, this is the first time in years that either side has deployed warplanes to fly across it.

Western security officials have raised questions about the existence of a large-scale training camp, saying that Pakistan no longer runs such camps and that militant groups are spread out in small groups around the country.

Analysts and diplomats in New Delhi said the targets of the Indian airstrikes were unclear, as any terrorist groups operating along the border would have cleared out in recent days after Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India vowed retaliation over the Kashmir attack.

Residents have also fled the area as hundreds of Kashmiris have been arrested and Indian troops have moved more troops into the region.

The Indian attack is likely to draw a response from Pakistan, analysts say.

"The Pakistanis are bound to react, conventionally and not through a proxy like a militant group," said Rahul Bedi, an analyst at the London-based Jane's Information Group, which tracks the defense industry. "Where they react and when is something that only Pakistanis know. This is a dangerous situation, as this brinkmanship can escalate quickly."

The American government has typically been a broker between India and Pakistan, conducting shuttle diplomacy in similarly heated situations. But President Trump has taken a hard line on Pakistan while drawing closer to India since coming to office in 2017. Observers fear the situation may escalate further in the absence of a third nation tamping down tensions.

Early last year, Mr. Trump cut some $1.3 billion in military assistance to Pakistan because of the country's support of terrorist groups. Pakistan's military denies that it engages terrorist groups to achieve its defense and foreign policy objectives.

India controls much of Kashmir, while Pakistan controls a smaller part of the region, which was left in an undetermined state after the British partition of India in 1947. It has seen decades of violence from militants seeking independence.

In the run-up to Indian elections this spring, and with Mr. Modi facing a fierce a re-election fight, voters have demanded that New Delhi respond to the Kashmir attack with force against Pakistan.

"What they hit is speculation for now — they say they hit a terrorist camp, but a lot of intelligence sources say those camps in Pakistan had been cleaned out in recent days," Mr. Bedi said. "This is more political symbolism than anything else. Mr. Modi had to show some demonstrable action on India's part, ahead of elections."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47383634

QuotePakistan 'shoots down two Indian jets' in Kashmir escalation

Pakistan says it has shot down two India Air Force jets in its airspace in Kashmir and arrested one pilot on the ground.

Military spokesman Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor said one of the planes had fallen in Pakistan-controlled territory while the other fell in Indian territory.

On Tuesday India launched strikes against militants in Pakistan.

Those raids were in retaliation for a militant attack on Indian troops in Indian-administered Kashmir.

Tensions have been high since the 14 February suicide attack on an Indian paramilitary police convoy, which killed at least 40 soldiers.

Also on Wednesday, Pakistan's foreign ministry said Pakistani jets had launched air strikes across the line of control dividing Pakistani- and Indian-controlled Kashmir.

Pakistan said it had "taken strikes at [a] non-military target, avoiding human loss and collateral damage".

Indian authorities said the Pakistani jets had been pushed back.

Both India and Pakistan claim all of Muslim-majority Kashmir, but control only parts of it. The two countries have fought three wars and a limited conflict since independence from Britain in 1947 - and all but one were over Kashmir.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Syt

Really, I expect better from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47382949

QuoteIndia and Pakistan in 'unchartered waters'

"We are in unchartered waters," says Husain Haqqani, alluding to the latest round of heightened hostilities between India and Pakistan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Tamas

So out of curiosity is there anything of value in Kashmir? Besides the sentimental value of proving you have the bigger dick, obviously.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2019, 05:09:17 AM
So out of curiosity is there anything of value in Kashmir? Besides the sentimental value of proving you have the bigger dick, obviously.

It's nice and all but kinda drags on.

Duque de Bragança