News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Casualties of the Three Kingdoms War

Started by Syt, March 24, 2019, 02:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

What if you compared the population decline in Europe during the crisis of the third century or the late fourth through early 6th century?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2019, 10:14:35 PM
What if you compared the population decline in Europe during the crisis of the third century or the late fourth through early 6th century?

About 30%.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2019, 09:07:29 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2019, 04:59:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
80-90% seems awfully high.  The Thirty years war killed 30-40% of the population of Germany and it's considered one of the most devastating wars in European history.  Killed the 80-90% of the population seems like it would be hard to do.  Most people in a pre-modern world were farmers and don't rely that much on central government.

I guess though with Germany you still had surrounding countries which were relatively unaffected, and though Germany may have had armies marching across it tearing it apart every other year, food could still get in from overseas.
First millenium China pretty much stood alone.

How much food do you think that destitute rural peasants were importing?  If anything, the fact that surrounding countries were relatively unaffected would indicate more damage.  Armies were less affected by the decline in resources in Germany since they were payed and supplied by outside entities.

IIRC the Swedish army in Germany during the 30YW was supported mostly by local resources.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2019, 09:07:29 PMHow much food do you think that destitute rural peasants were importing?  If anything, the fact that surrounding countries were relatively unaffected would indicate more damage.  Armies were less affected by the decline in resources in Germany since they were payed and supplied by outside entities.
Towns and merchants existed.
██████
██████
██████