News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I need a new laptop. Help?

Started by merithyn, February 12, 2019, 11:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I haven't kept up with laptop technology, so I feel completely out of my depth as I shop for a new machine. I know you all have an opinion on these kinds of things, so I came to you for help.

How it will be used: Regular internet surfacing, photo editing and storage, and writing.

Requirements: 15"-16" screen, Windows 10, Windows Office, extended keyboard

Do I go to Amazon? Dell? Best Buy? Somewhere else entirely? What are the specs that I will need for a machine that will last at least four years?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

I don't know about the photo editing, but for the other uses you mention, you should be able to go to a big-box retailer and get something acceptable for less than you'd likely pay otherwise.

I wouldn't have recommended that just 4 or 5 years ago, but things change and you don't need a state of the art model for what you want to do with it.

Monoriu

Samsung is my favourite laptop brand.  Aside from speed and storage, one of the most important aspects I look for is weight.  I take my laptop when I travel, and I want it to be as light as possible.  My 13-inch laptop weighs less than 1kg. 

About the harddrive.  I will insist on an SSD, because it is much faster.  My last laptop had a 128GB SSD, which wasn't enough for me.  My current one has a 256GB SSD, and I will insist that my next laptop has a 512GB SSD.

I once made a mistake on buying a really small, light, and slow laptop that was pocket sized.  Took forever to do anything. 

Another thing I look for is connection slots.  I will not accept any machine without at least two USB 3.0 slots.  Of course it depends on what your habits and needs are, but I am very wary of salespeople telling me I don't need them because everything is done on the cloud these days. 

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Richard Hakluyt

RAM is also an issue. A number of cheap laptops run very poorly due to insufficient RAM. I would go for 8gb.

Tamas

A few months ago I've helped my parents choose this (or something very close to this, can't remember):
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-A517-51G-54GK-i5-7200U-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B079T6NWZN/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3?keywords=Acer+Aspire+5+-+A517&qid=1550046124&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull

I was quite impressed by it when I tried it out during Christmas. Should be fine for your purposes, I think, assuming that photo-editing ain't that intensive.

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on February 13, 2019, 01:00:42 AM
I will not accept any machine without at least two USB 3.0 slots. 

Yeah, I'll agree with Mono on this.  But as he says, it does depend somewhat on your particular needs.  In my case, I detest trying to use the touchpad to control the courser, so I have one of the ports dedicated to a mouse.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 13, 2019, 04:26:07 AM

Yeah, I'll agree with Mono on this.  But as he says, it does depend somewhat on your particular needs.  In my case, I detest trying to use the touchpad to control the courser, so I have one of the ports dedicated to a mouse.

Bluetooth wireless mouse.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Samsung is my favourite laptop brand. Aside from speed and storage, one of the most important aspects I look for is weight.  I take my laptop when I travel, and I want it to be as light as possible.  My 13-inch laptop weighs less than 1kg. 
.... snip

I have a samsung laptop that has never once left the office desk,  during that time the hardly used DVD drive just failed for no reason.

Also the screen part failed, recovered, sometimes has a small bottom band of corrupted colours, it always has a one pixel wide green line all the way across the screen at the level of the toolbar.  <_<

I wouldn't trust samsung at all.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I only trust Samsung for phones.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2019, 06:35:51 AM
Quote from: dps on February 13, 2019, 04:26:07 AM

Bluetooth wireless mouse.

I've had bad luck with those in the past, though I'm told that they are much improved from when I last used one.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2019, 08:14:35 AM

imho they are best for TVs as well.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2019, 08:59:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2019, 08:14:35 AM

imho they are best for TVs as well.

I almost said that but then realized it has been sometime since I've had a Samsung TV.