I need a new laptop. Help?

Started by merithyn, February 12, 2019, 11:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2019, 08:59:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2019, 08:14:35 AM
I only trust Samsung for phones.

imho they are best for TVs as well.

I also had  a samsung LCD tv, guess what ..... it failed 2 months after the 2 year guarantee was up. :hmm:

Oh and the 3rd ever samsung I had was a phne that just stopped working at all one day.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Threviel

Quote from: mongers on February 13, 2019, 09:25:50 AM

I also had  a samsung LCD tv, guess what ..... it failed 2 months after the 2 year guarantee was up. :hmm:

Not perfect, but still a good engineered TV then.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2019, 08:59:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2019, 08:14:35 AM
I only trust Samsung for phones.

imho they are best for TVs as well.

Oh and the 3rd ever samsung I had was a phne that just stopped working at all one day.

Maybe the problem is you. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on February 13, 2019, 09:27:58 AM

Not perfect, but still a good engineered TV then.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

There's a Samsung LCD in cca. its 12th year back home now used by my grandma. My parents current one is in its 7th year. My own is in its 5th.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2019, 10:56:54 AM
There's a Samsung LCD in cca. its 12th year back home now used by my grandma. My parents current one is in its 7th year. My own is in its 5th.

My Samsung TV is about 8 years old.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on February 12, 2019, 11:41:47 PM
I haven't kept up with laptop technology, so I feel completely out of my depth as I shop for a new machine. I know you all have an opinion on these kinds of things, so I came to you for help.

How it will be used: Regular internet surfacing, photo editing and storage, and writing.

Requirements: 15"-16" screen, Windows 10, Windows Office, extended keyboard

Do I go to Amazon? Dell? Best Buy? Somewhere else entirely? What are the specs that I will need for a machine that will last at least four years?

So here's the thing.  Writing and internet surfing are very low intensive.  Photo editing however is anything but.

I know you said "Windows 10", but might I suggest a MacBook?  Apple really does make some of the most well-built laptops out there, and graphics and photo editing are still a mainstay of the Mac world.  And you can get Office for Mac.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

There must be some mods on with banning rights

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

I'm just speaking truth to power. -_-

Apple makes fantastic notebooks if Meri is worried about future-proofing here.  Many/most graphics professionals use them.  If she had just said "writing and web surfing" I probably would have said a cheap windows notebook.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2019, 05:48:11 PM

Apple makes fantastic notebooks if Meri is worried about future-proofing here.  Many/most graphics professionals use them.  If she had just said "writing and web surfing" I probably would have said a cheap windows notebook.

Picture editing is pretty run of the mill for pretty much every lap top these days.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2019, 04:16:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 12, 2019, 11:41:47 PM
I haven't kept up with laptop technology, so I feel completely out of my depth as I shop for a new machine. I know you all have an opinion on these kinds of things, so I came to you for help.

How it will be used: Regular internet surfacing, photo editing and storage, and writing.

Requirements: 15"-16" screen, Windows 10, Windows Office, extended keyboard

Do I go to Amazon? Dell? Best Buy? Somewhere else entirely? What are the specs that I will need for a machine that will last at least four years?

So here's the thing.  Writing and internet surfing are very low intensive.  Photo editing however is anything but.

I know you said "Windows 10", but might I suggest a MacBook?  Apple really does make some of the most well-built laptops out there, and graphics and photo editing are still a mainstay of the Mac world.  And you can get Office for Mac.

You can suggest it, but I won't be getting one.  :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2019, 06:17:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2019, 05:48:11 PM

Picture editing is pretty run of the mill for pretty much every lap top these days.

:yes:

I already have the software I like. It's not for a Mac
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Monoriu

Macbook air uses USB-c slots, not regular USB ones.  That's a dealbreaker for me.