News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Motorhoming in France

Started by Threviel, February 03, 2019, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Threviel

Why should I? The papists had it coming.

Admiral Yi

D'oh!  I thought you were talking about Vikings sacking northern France.  But of those those dirty mackerel snappers had it coming.

Threviel

Somewhere in Normandy my wife mentioned that we may be the first Swedes there whilst I was reading about how the place was sacked by vikings in 867 or something.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2019, 04:12:43 PM
D'oh!  I thought you were talking about Vikings sacking northern France.  But of those those dirty mackerel snappers had it coming.

Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle was Imperial-held (Habsburg) back then.  :P

Threviel

So. Now we are home, we went by the Grenå-Varberg ferry and then just a 15 minutes drive to our house. The last few days were just a boring autobahn slog. By scheer luck, owing to a camp site close to the autobahn, we stayed a night in Alsfeld. Beautiful old city centre and they just happened to have a big market. German pizza, whose name now slips my mind, was eaten, the kids liked them. Me and the wife had a schnitzel in the central square and had some Alsfeld beer. A nice positive on a boring trip.

We escaped the heat wave, but we would have liked to stay a few more days in Alsace.

The car was probably dangerously overloaded, we can normally load about 300 kg, which includes 100 l water and ourselves. We probably had in the order of 100 kg wine alone. And far too little pommeau.

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2019, 03:15:01 PM
So. Now we are home, we went by the Grenå-Varberg ferry and then just a 15 minutes drive to our house. The last few days were just a boring autobahn slog. By scheer luck, owing to a camp site close to the autobahn, we stayed a night in Alsfeld. Beautiful old city centre and they just happened to have a big market. German pizza, whose name now slips my mind, was eaten, the kids liked them. Me and the wife had a schnitzel in the central square and had some Alsfeld beer. A nice positive on a boring trip.

We escaped the heat wave, but we would have liked to stay a few more days in Alsace.

The car was probably dangerously overloaded, we can normally load about 300 kg, which includes 100 l water and ourselves. We probably had in the order of 100 kg wine alone. And far too little pommeau.

And so the odyssey ends.  :D

Thanks for doing the thread, an interesting road trip and I enjoyed reading about your adventures. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2019, 03:15:01 PM

Back in the day, I would bring 10 or 20 l of Portuguese grape brandy (aguardente/bagaço) by train, in ad hoc jerrycans, held in travel bags or even a back pack.  :P

Starting in Puebla de Sanabria/Póvoa de Seabra, a place only known by The Larch in this forum. Yes, this is one place you can reach from Zamora, crossroads of the world.

Heat wave ends Sunday, where temperatures will be around a more tolerable max. 30°C.

Threviel

I did get some niceish food in cans and stuff. Choc Route from Alsace, Cassoulete from Castelnauday, lots of duck in different shapes, fish from the atlantic, herbs and spices from Provence, onions and turnips for stock.

We are discussing improvements for next trip. I definitely want an oven and better pans and pots so I can make some proper good food.

Duque de Bragança

Swedes or more generally Nordics, bring back mostly booze.  :P

Threviel

We met some Norwegians in Bordeaux on a vineyard. We mocked them a bit when they bought fewer bottles than we bought cases, must be a bitch to not be in the EU.

Admiral Yi

Are onions and turnips tough to find in Swedonia?  Or are these artisanal onions and turnips? :unsure:

Threviel

Greens in general had a much higher quality in France. I have no ready explanation for that except that we usually only have access to dutch industrially grown stuff, but why that wouldn't be the case in France I don't know. I would have bought cases of apples, pears, tomatoes, cucumbers and lots of other stuff if I I had a way to keep it fresh.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on June 28, 2019, 01:08:54 PM
We met some Norwegians in Bordeaux on a vineyard. We mocked them a bit when they bought fewer bottles than we bought cases, must be a bitch to not be in the EU.

Norway is still part of the EEA though.  Special, harsher Norwegian regulations on booze?  :hmm: