News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Motorhoming in France

Started by Threviel, February 03, 2019, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Wait a minute, won't a yellow vest in the windshield cause the police to look sideways at us? We have a weight issue with the car, so we do not want the police to notice us.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 07:37:07 AM
Wait a minute, won't a yellow vest in the windshield cause the police to look sideways at us? We have a weight issue with the car, so we do not want the police to notice us.

I doubt police are going to bother Swedish motorhomes, but just use the yellow vest if necessary (road block with yellow vests around).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on February 04, 2019, 07:22:55 AM
I assume Duque de Braganca is compiling a detailed travel guide at the moment.

Most of the recommendations are excellent. I second the Loire Valley, the RV trip is perfect for that. Make sure to visit Mont Saint Michel.
RV parking will have to be a some distance from the site though. Saint-Malo, the gate of Britany, is not far from Mont Saint Michel so it would make perfect sense to visit those two sites in succession.
Rouen has a small medieval part, the rest is ugly though not as bad Le Havre.

Yi

The Académie may correctly point out that camping-car does not even exist in English, i.e classic franglais, Macron-approved, but can't do much about it. Unsurprisingly, the word is not in their dictionary.

Threviel

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 04, 2019, 07:51:06 AM
The Académie may correctly point out that camping-car does not even exist in English, i.e classic franglais, Macron-approved, but can't do much about it. Unsurprisingly, the word is not in their dictionary.

It's like the Germans calling mobile phones "Handy" or Swedes called Walkmans "Freestyle". No such english words and it sounds absolutely silly. Ich habt mein handy und mein komputer in das camping car.

Do you have any tips for central France? Nature areas in Massif Central or nature areas in general? Any especially beautiful forests or canyons or whatever?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 08:00:49 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 04, 2019, 07:51:06 AM

It's like the Germans calling mobile phones "Handy" or Swedes called Walkmans "Freestyle". No such english words and it sounds absolutely silly. Ich habt mein handy und mein komputer in das camping car.

Do you have any tips for central France? Nature areas in Massif Central or nature areas in general? Any especially beautiful forests or canyons or whatever?

I don't know well the area really. It's very popular for hiking (randonnée in French) but with I don't think you can hike that much with children around. I'll ask around. The Grande Randonnée (GR 30) Tour des lacs et volcans d'Auvergne being a classic.
Long ago Massif Central had volcanos so there is also a Vulcania park, one of a kind volcano theme-park, which may appeal to the kids. 15 km NW of Clermont-Ferrand, home of Michelin tyres.
https://www.vulcania.com/en/

Zoupa

Quote from: The Larch on February 04, 2019, 07:12:08 AM
Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 07:06:01 AMAre there no frenchmen here?

Nope. This forum is Americans plus a few weirdos from here and there.  :P

In any case, my impression is that the yellow vests are active mostly in Paris. And yes, the Loire is great, and also very touristy, so it should have plenty of places for you to set up your motorhome.

:glare:

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on February 04, 2019, 11:50:45 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 04, 2019, 07:12:08 AM
Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 07:06:01 AMAre there no frenchmen here?

Nope. This forum is Americans plus a few weirdos from here and there.  :P

In any case, my impression is that the yellow vests are active mostly in Paris. And yes, the Loire is great, and also very touristy, so it should have plenty of places for you to set up your motorhome.

:glare:

You're a canuck, just face it. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 07:06:01 AM
Dang, Loire sounds like something we really ought to visit. So much to see everywhere

Are there no frenchmen here? What's the status with the yellow vests? Are they disruptive outside the mayor cities?

Potentially but their beef is with Macron not with motoring tourists. Since you will be paying hefty gas taxes to fill up you can even claim solidarity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 07:34:57 AM
Ahh, so a yellow vest in the windshield and a thumbs up where appropriate and the silly buggers will let us be? Are there a lot of queues because of them? None of us speak a word of french so I hope that we can get by with a smile and a badly pronounced bonjour.

If you can make an effort to learn a few basic phrases and the like. A sincere effort is often appreciated, then you can switch to English.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2019, 07:07:12 PM
Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 07:06:01 AM
Dang, Loire sounds like something we really ought to visit. So much to see everywhere

Are there no frenchmen here? What's the status with the yellow vests? Are they disruptive outside the mayor cities?

Potentially but their beef is with Macron not with motoring tourists. Since you will be paying hefty gas taxes to fill up you can even claim solidarity.

You wouldn't make a great demonstrator,too much rationality and thinking beyond the placard.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 03, 2019, 02:00:49 PM
If you go to Avignon (the Pope's Palais is worth it), go north to Carpentras, and from there, to Sault. Heart of lavender country. Beautiful.

As others have said, Orange, Vaison-La-Romaine, Nimes and Arles will have some good roman ruins.

I love that area - I could easily spend 8 weeks just there.

While in that vicinity and in keeping with the castle theme, you could spend a day at Les Baux.

http://www.lesbauxdeprovence.com/en

Threviel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2019, 07:10:28 PM
Quote from: Threviel on February 04, 2019, 07:34:57 AM
Ahh, so a yellow vest in the windshield and a thumbs up where appropriate and the silly buggers will let us be? Are there a lot of queues because of them? None of us speak a word of french so I hope that we can get by with a smile and a badly pronounced bonjour.

If you can make an effort to learn a few basic phrases and the like. A sincere effort is often appreciated, then you can switch to English.

Yes, I know some small basics. Je nu parlez francais, parlez vous anglais? Allemagne? Suedoise?

I imagine that a smile and a bonjour goes a long way. Otherwise it's just english pronounced in a silly way. Je suis fatige = I am fatigued.

Threviel

By the way, this will be our home during the trip: https://www.camptoo.nl/camper/8480/Luxe-Semi-integraal-Dethleffs-4-pers-2x-enkel-bed-achterin-en-een-2-persoons-hefbed

Or rather, a very very similar car. The longest we have been away is a two-week trip last year, we only bought it in April last year. So it will be a challenge to be away for 8 weeks. We don't really have any place to dry clothes for example, so I imagine that we will do some manual laundry each day and dry it in the shower. And then sometimes we have to find a washer and a dry tumbler for underwear and bedclothing.

I also imagine food will be a challenge. We can't really afford to eat out every day and besides, it isn't fun with the kids. Life without an oven and a microwave will be a challenge.

Bu the toughest of all is probably coffee. We are both coffee-abusers and 8 weeks with Nescafe will be hard.

Zoupa

Coffee is 1 euro and there are cafes everywhere. Just buy food at local supermarkets. Food is cheaper in France than Sweden.

Zoupa

Just buy a hotplate and or microwave