News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Motorhoming in France

Started by Threviel, February 03, 2019, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

So, now that my parental leave is coming to an end we thought we would end it with a nice trip. The plan is to do an 8 week trip in France, from about May 1st in out motor home.

We plan on going to Bastogne first (Yes, I know, Belgium) and then enter France and stay a first day or two in Verdun. Then on to Champagne, see some castles and buy some Champagne. After that it's Eurodisney, apparently they have a nice motorhome parking place. We will not be going into Paris, that is an entire trip itself.

After that it's out to the coast, somewhere in Normandy and then follow the coast down (perhaps a detour up the Loire) to Bordeaux and then we turn east, tor Carcassone. And if I get my will through we'll also go to Avignon. We plan on staying well clear of Marseille.

And then trough Massif Central up north and back to Sweden through Alsace perhaps, we haven't really decided.

What do you guys think? What should we visit on the way? What is not worth it? Will the dastardly yellow vests destroy everything?

Zanza

Sounds like a great trip. The Bretagne is worth the detour in case you did not have that planned after Normandy.

The Brain

Verdun is great. I loved Carcassonne. I'm sure the rest is awesome too, but I have no personal experience.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Quote from: Zanza on February 03, 2019, 04:50:32 AM
Sounds like a great trip. The Bretagne is worth the detour in case you did not have that planned after Normandy.

Oh, yes, Brittany is planned for, at least visit some fishing village and eat some oysters and fresh fish. I don't know how far out we'll go.

Threviel

Oh, and we'll be travelling with the kids, 2.5 and 5 years old, so any nice kids stuff recommendations are appreciated.

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on February 03, 2019, 08:22:46 AM
Oh, and we'll be travelling with the kids, 2.5 and 5 years old, so any nice kids stuff recommendations are appreciated.

Some castles?  :D

Sounds like a lovely trip and hope you have good weather.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Parc Asterix near Paris, then visit the menhirs in Britanny.

Threviel

Quote from: Maladict on February 03, 2019, 10:07:03 AM

Parc Asterix near Paris, then visit the menhirs in Britanny.

Man, that would be awesome, 10 year old me wold have loved that. It's even on the way we have chosen around Paris. Unfortunately the kids are a bit young and they have no clue as to who Asterix is.

Threviel

Ohh, and I really want to see some good Roman remains. Any tips not around Marseille?

Berkut

Wow I have no advice but 8 weeks in France? That sounds freaking amazing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on February 03, 2019, 12:42:38 PM

But no night in Paris. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on February 03, 2019, 11:55:11 AM
Ohh, and I really want to see some good Roman remains. Any tips not around Marseille?

Sure  :)

Possibly on your route from Paris to Normandy/Britanny:
- intact late Roman city walls in Le Mans

Possibly on your route from Normandy/Britanny to Provence:
- Vesunna roman villa near PĂ©rigueux

In Provence, the most important ones:
- Orange
- Arles
- Nimes
- Pont du Gard
- Glanum
- Vaison-la-Romaine

Possibly on your way back north:
- Lyon (don't miss the museum)
- plenty of cool sites in Burgundy, probably somewhat off course: Autun, Bibracte, Alesia

Threviel

Quote from: Berkut on February 03, 2019, 12:42:38 PM

Well, we have a few days to travel to and from France from Sweden. We plan on going around may 1st and I start work 22nd July and want to be home a few weeks before that.

Anyone know what the yellow vests are doing? I do not want to get stuck on some highway because the silly french are being silly. Plan B is Italy instead, if France should be to unstable.

Berkut

Isn't 8 weeks enough time for both France AND Italy?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned