Author Topic: US Elections 2020  (Read 65878 times)

Admiral Yi

• Neil
Re: US Elections 2020
« Reply #1095 on: July 13, 2019, 02:14:45 am »
I agree with this, but going to? She already has been. Even though they are who got her her her speakership.

I read she got 220 votes for Speaker.  How many of those do you want to claim?  And how many "segregationists" who also voted for her does she have to throw under the bus as a gesture of thanks?
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Zoupa

• Sugar Glider
  • Debout, les damnés de la Terre...
« Reply #1096 on: July 13, 2019, 08:04:17 pm »
Whining about how racially insensitive Pelosi is won't win Dems any votes.

Indeed.

Indeed, identity politics sucks.

Are you ever gonna respond to my previous post or you're just gonna ignore it?

Zoupa

• Sugar Glider
« Reply #1097 on: July 13, 2019, 08:08:57 pm »
Pelosi has been really dismissive and insulting in how she refers to the newer members of her party in congress. It's fine in private but she does it in interviews and I really don't see the upside of using that tone.

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #1098 on: July 14, 2019, 12:01:57 am »
Boo fucking hoo.  If you want to push leftist policies go ahead and make the case.  Don't keep crying victimhood because folks who are not part of that prayer circle think it's bullshit.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #1099 on: July 14, 2019, 02:19:33 am »
Nancy Pelosi is no Ciceronian orator, but she knows a little a bit about getting stuff passed.  Millions of Americans have access to health care because of Pelosi.  So far, OSC has given millions access to her twitter account.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Getting ready to post on Languish
« Reply #1100 on: July 14, 2019, 02:26:22 am »
Whining about how racially insensitive Pelosi is won't win Dems any votes.

Indeed.

Indeed, identity politics sucks.

Are you ever gonna respond to my previous post or you're just gonna ignore it?

Keep checking back, I will get right on it. It's one of my very highest priorities.
“If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven’t been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zoupa

• Sugar Glider
« Reply #1101 on: July 14, 2019, 11:59:05 am »
It's not easy getting an own goal, but sometimes you gotta man up and just accept it  :console:

DGuller

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1102 on: July 14, 2019, 01:35:41 pm »
Keep checking back, I will get right on it. It's one of my very highest priorities.
I have to say he's got you there.

Berkut

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1103 on: July 14, 2019, 02:08:24 pm »

Seriously? You cannot go back and read my posts and understand what I was saying, and how zoupa the dickhead did his normal dishonest selective quoting?

I mean, WTF, he cut the phrase from my quote where I SPECIFICALLY state  that both sides are NOT EQUIVALENT and then demands that I defend saying that they are? Said phrase coming in the exact same sentence he quoted me in, so you know he had to have done so intentionally?

I mean, really, Zoupa is Zoupa. It's pretty typical for him. But even you, who hate the very idea that the left might not be full on sunshine and roses at all times, have to be able to see what at least I am clearly stating, even if you don't agree with it.

This is why we can't have nice things. Nobody can actually have a civil discussion with any kind of basic honesty. My quote is RIGHT THERE. You cannot miss my clear intent. But you are all "OMG HE GOT YOU" because Zoupa is able to fabricate a meaning, and it aligns with your views, so YIPPEEEE!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:10:24 pm by Berkut »

0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #1104 on: July 14, 2019, 02:31:51 pm »
Ahem:

This is not the era of thoughtful discourse on matters of policy. It is the era of low brow populist point scoring, on both sides. And both sides get all upset and deny that they ever do anything of the kind, and trot out there fig leafs to pretend they are not.

Next post:

I don't believe I said both sides are terrible and populist

So which one is it dude.

For those trying to follow along at home.  :sleep:
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

Berkut

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1105 on: July 14, 2019, 02:51:10 pm »
The actual quote, unedited by dishonest fucks:

I don't believe I said both sides are terrible and populist, and I sure didn't claim there was any equivalency now.[/i] There is certainly not. Which is why the left wing bullshit is so stupid and damaging and unnecessary.[/i]

I don't think I can be much clearer about what I am trying to say.

0 rows returned

grumbler

• Blessed by Valmy
  • I'll sleep when I'm dead
« Reply #1106 on: July 14, 2019, 02:54:58 pm »
This is why we can't have nice things. Nobody can actually have a civil discussion with any kind of basic honesty. My quote is RIGHT THERE. You cannot miss my clear intent. But you are all "OMG HE GOT YOU" because Zoupa is able to fabricate a meaning, and it aligns with your views, so YIPPEEEE!

Amen
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

DGuller

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1107 on: July 14, 2019, 03:00:59 pm »

Seriously? You cannot go back and read my posts and understand what I was saying, and how zoupa the dickhead did his normal dishonest selective quoting?

I mean, WTF, he cut the phrase from my quote where I SPECIFICALLY state  that both sides are NOT EQUIVALENT and then demands that I defend saying that they are? Said phrase coming in the exact same sentence he quoted me in, so you know he had to have done so intentionally?

I mean, really, Zoupa is Zoupa. It's pretty typical for him. But even you, who hate the very idea that the left might not be full on sunshine and roses at all times, have to be able to see what at least I am clearly stating, even if you don't agree with it.

I can and did read the quotes the first time, and I just re-read them now, and I thought then and think now that Zoupa got you.  The part that he cut off did not seem relevant to the context.

DGuller

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1108 on: July 14, 2019, 03:05:19 pm »
The actual quote, unedited by dishonest fucks:

I don't believe I said both sides are terrible and populist, and I sure didn't claim there was any equivalency now.[/i] There is certainly not. Which is why the left wing bullshit is so stupid and damaging and unnecessary.[/i]

I don't think I can be much clearer about what I am trying to say.
You were clear here.  You were also clear in the other message that contradicted this one.  I didn't see anyone claim that you said they were equally terrible, so you clarifying that they weren't is not relevant.
This is not the era of thoughtful discourse on matters of policy. It is the era of low brow populist point scoring, on both sides.

Oexmelin

• Naked Mole Rat
  • Commissaire-ordonnateur
« Reply #1109 on: July 14, 2019, 03:10:49 pm »
Boo fucking hoo.  If you want to push leftist policies go ahead and make the case.  Don't keep crying victimhood because folks who are not part of that prayer circle think it's bullshit.

That's not really how it works, is it? Power struggles within a party are never really about people "making the case" to each other in a dispassionate forum around a nice meal: see, the Tea Party. It's about gaining recognition, securing positions on influential committees, and displaying strength.

The progressives think arguing to the issues and principles ought to define the Democrats. They get a lot of airtime - a lot more than a bunch of established players, through social networks - and traditional networks, too. It's also how they got their strength, and they are attempting to show the party leadership that strength. They are, in a way, "making their case". Unsurprisingly, that leadership (who got into that position of leadership following an entirely different route) oppose those methods, and tend to dismiss that strength.

I am sure Pelosi is a great political player, but I think she is meeting very poorly the progressive's challenge - at least from the outside. At the heart of it all, is whether or not the rules and practices which have allowed both the current leadership of the Democratic party to rise to that position, and some candidates to hold on precariously to their seats, are adapted to current political conditions and climate, or sufficient to deliver victory. My own view, somewhat independently from my wish to see a more progressive platform triumph, is that prudence might be barely enough to secure a victory in 2020, but will not address the much deeper problem associated with the rise of Trumpism.
Que le grand cric me croque !