Author Topic: US Elections 2020  (Read 12186 times)

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
Re: US Elections 2020
« Reply #465 on: March 15, 2019, 11:42:58 am »
Prior to 1875 you couldn't illegally immigrate to the US. 

That's correct in terms of national law.  I believe some of the states had immigration laws prior to 1875.  At least New York state did, although the main purposes of those laws was (a) to protect immigrants from being preyed upon by fraudsters and criminals that used to skulk about the docks and (2) to quarantine arrivals suffering from infectious diseases.

It's fair to say the before the Civil War the idea that the national government had the constitutional power to regulate entry of human beings into the country would have seemed outlandish.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #466 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:47 am »
Here is a cotemporary account from 1866 of the Castle Garden immigration station in New York harbor.  I think it forms an interesting contrast to the "welcome" immigrants can expect today from ICE:

All being ready, the emigrants proceed in a body up the corridor into the interior of the building, their boxes and baggage being removed to the luggage warehouses, and here they range themselves in order on the seats. In front of them, and in the centre of the building, which is lit by a glass dome, stand a staff of some dozen gentlemen, all busily engaged in making arrangements for facilitating the movements and promoting the settlement of the newly-arrived emigrants. Each emigrant, man, woman and child, passes up in rotation to the Bureau, and gives to the registrar his or her name and destination, as a check upon the return of the Captain of the vessel, who gives the name, place of birth, age and occupation. One of the leading officers connected with the Bureau of Information then mounts a rostrum, and addressing the assembled emigrants, tells them that such as are not otherwise provided for, or prepared to pay for their accommodation, can find shelter under the roof of that building; that advice and information of the best and most reliable kind can be had relative to tickets for railway and steamer to take them East, West, North or South; as to the best means of obtaining employment, for which a register is kept in the Intelligence Department of the Institution; also as to the best and most expeditious routes to take, with facilities for corresponding with friends, and of changing money at the Bureau of Exchange. The Intelligence Department is largely resorted to by emigrants, inasmuch as there they can obtain information as to probable situations without fee, for which outside they are asked $2 by the employment agents. A careful supervision is exercised by the office as to the suitability and respectability of the parties on both sides. All this is well and wisely done for the protection of the emigrant, who would otherwise, if let to himself, become the prey of sharpers, boarding-house "runners", "scalpers", leafers, et id genus omne. Such as are ill or invalid are at once sent to the State Hospital, where they receive the best of medical treatment and general attention. A tolerable estimate may be formed of the work and labor devolving on the establishment, when it is remembered that during the past month of November, 17,280 emigrants had arrived at Castle Garden, or a grand total of 219,830 to that date since the beginning of the year, while according to the latest return made up to Thursday last, the total number of arrivals from January to Dec. 5, had reached the enormous number of 222,494, being an increase of 26,142 over the corresponding period of the preceding year--all permeating and passing through the great artery of life and labor at Castle Garden. The advantages conferred by the regulations of the institution are developed every day in the shield of protection that, by means of its advice, information and police, it confers on the unsuspecting emigrant and on the unprotected female, the friendless, the orphan and the widow.

Such is Castle Garden as a great national refuge for the emigrant from all lands. It has nothing to parallel it on the continent of Europe. It stands alone in its noble and utilitarian character.

http://members.tripod.com/~L_Alfano/castle.htm
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #467 on: March 15, 2019, 11:52:02 am »
Of course, there are certain realities and practicalities that separate the present day from the 1860s.  But I would like to think that human decency and basic humanistic values have not degenerated too much since then.  It should be possible to have an immigration that is both "tough" in terms of enforcing legal restrictionw without having to be complete assholes to our fellow human beings.
--Joan Robinson

Grinning_Colossus

• Strawman
  • Khaleesi, your dragons are too fat to fly.
« Reply #468 on: March 15, 2019, 01:56:49 pm »
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Never stop yiffing.

dps

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • aa's boobs
« Reply #469 on: March 15, 2019, 03:01:18 pm »
Of course, there are certain realities and practicalities that separate the present day from the 1860s.  But I would like to think that human decency and basic humanistic values have not degenerated too much since then.  It should be possible to have an immigration that is both "tough" in terms of enforcing legal restrictionw without having to be complete assholes to our fellow human beings.

FWIW, I'll restate my position that I think we should do away with quotas and let in anyone after rigorously screening out criminals, terrorists, those with serious communicable diseases, and perhaps a few other categories.

Monoriu

• Octogon Champion
« Reply #470 on: March 15, 2019, 05:25:57 pm »
I like the Canadian way.  I still remember when my family went through the point system form.  You get points for speaking English, being young, having the required skills, and just plain having the cash. 

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #471 on: March 15, 2019, 05:36:44 pm »
You don't get points for speaking French? Tabarnak!
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

Monoriu

• Octogon Champion
« Reply #472 on: March 15, 2019, 05:39:06 pm »
You don't get points for speaking French? Tabarnak!

If I remember correctly it was 6 points for English and another 6 points for French.  My father scored 6 on English and 0 on French.  Got through in the end  :showoff:

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #473 on: March 15, 2019, 06:28:40 pm »
0? Not even kissing?
You are gay.

Grinning_Colossus

• Strawman
« Reply #474 on: March 16, 2019, 02:40:56 am »
I'm becoming more and more convinced that our 2019 exists entirely within an 80s cyberpunk novel.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-beto-short-exclusive/exclusive-beto-orourke-belonged-to-major-hacker-group-as-a-teenager-idUSKCN1QW28H

Beto O'Rourke belonged to major hacker group as a teenager

SAN FRANCISCO(Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke belonged to one of the best-known groups of computer hackers as a teenager, Reuters revealed today.

In an exclusive interview with this reporter for a forthcoming book about the group, the former U.S. congressman from Texas confirmed that as a youth in El Paso, he belonged to the hacking group known as the Cult of the Dead Cow. He also acknowledged that, during those teenage years, he stole long-distance phone service to participate in electronic discussions. Others in the group committed the same offense and got off with warnings; the statute of limitations ran out long ago.

In the group, O’Rourke wrote online essays under the pseudonym “Psychedelic Warlord” that could provide fodder for political supporters and foes alike. One mocked a neo-Nazi, while another was a short piece of fiction from a killer’s point of view.

I need a butt-shine, 
Right now 
You are holy, 
Oh, sacred Cow 
I thirst for you, 
Provide Milk. 

Buff my balls,
Love the Cow,
Good fortune for those that do.
Love me, breathe my feet,
The Cow has risen.

Wax my ass, 
Scrub my balls. 
The Cow has risen, 
Provide Milk. 

-Beto O'Rourke, age 16

Never stop yiffing.

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #475 on: March 16, 2019, 03:47:05 am »
:)
You are gay.

celedhring

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #476 on: March 16, 2019, 09:34:00 am »
President of the United States Mr. Psychedelic Warlord. I guess it's the next step after Trump  :P

Grinning_Colossus

• Strawman
« Reply #477 on: March 17, 2019, 06:28:10 am »
Old Man Misspeaks
Joe Biden appeared to announce his candidacy for the 2020 US election, before immediately correcting himself.

The former vice-president made the slip while addressing 1,000 Democrats at a dinner in his home state of Delaware.

He said his record was the most progressive "of anyone running for the United-" before correcting himself and saying, "anybody who would run".

The audience stood up and chanted "run Joe run", while Mr Biden crossed himself and said, "I didn't mean it!"

Addressing party brokers and leaders in the city of Dover, Mr Biden, 76, said that it was time to restore the country's "backbone", but that they needed political consensus to move beyond what he called today's "mean", "petty" and "vicious" political landscape.

"I'm told I get criticised by the new left," he said, referring to a group of popular new left-wing Democrats that includes congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. "I have the most progressive record of anybody running for the United- "

He then corrected himself, saying: "Anybody who would run."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47601121

Never stop yiffing.

Caliga

• Blessed by Valmy
  • COLONEL Caliga
« Reply #478 on: March 17, 2019, 02:05:58 pm »
RUN JOE RUN
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grinning_Colossus

• Strawman
« Reply #479 on: March 17, 2019, 11:49:28 pm »
Gillibrand launches presidential bid
Kirsten Gillibrand has become the latest US Democrat to join a crowded race to be the party's candidate for the 2020 presidential election.

The 52-year-old senator for New York announced her bid in an online video released on Sunday.

In the video launching her bid, Ms Gillibrand takes aim at President Donald Trump, saying: "Brave doesn't pit people against each other. Brave doesn't put money over lives. Brave doesn't spread hate. Cloud truth. Build a wall. That's what fear does."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47605490

Never stop yiffing.