Author Topic: Happy Armistice Day!  (Read 319 times)

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
Happy Armistice Day!
« on: November 11, 2018, 12:51:00 am »
Here in these streets are the things that we want: sex and birth, votes and traits, money and guilt, television and teddy bears. But all we've actually got is each other. You decide what that means.

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
Re: Happy Armistice Day!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 12:54:00 am »
Yep 100 years ago the Great War mercifully came to an end, ushering in our wonderful modern world that we still enjoy.

I hope everybody at least takes a second to reflect on that. It seems both much longer and and much shorter a time ago than 100 years if that makes any sense.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:30:33 am »
I'm not sure 1920 was appreciably more modern than 1910.  :hmm:
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 01:34:35 am »

Well you are wrong. Wrong. Super wrong.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:36:08 am »

Jesus. Just look at the fucking hemlines.
You are gay.

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 02:09:10 am »
When you think about it. WW1 was sort of a real world Hunger Games on an epic scale. Young men, for no good reason, brainwashed or even outright forced, into spending years of their life murdering each other for no good reason.

Let's hope going forward we will do more to learn from the mistakes of the past.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

• Sugar Glider
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 04:17:21 am »
Surprised by the self-absorded BBC coverage. There's not even a British representative in Paris, where the rest of the world has assembled?

Richard Hakluyt

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 04:39:32 am »
Probably because the important thing for us is our elderly monarch laying a wreath at the Cenotaph; not some political riff-raff gathering in Paris  :P

There was quite a lot of coverage earlier this week of May and Macron laying wreaths at various spots important in the war.

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 04:46:38 am »
Yep 100 years ago the Great War mercifully came to an end, ushering in our wonderful modern world that we still enjoy.

I hope everybody at least takes a second to reflect on that. It seems both much longer and and much shorter a time ago than 100 years if that makes any sense.

I know what you mean. The world we live in is utterly defined by that conflict so it is hard to imagine there ever was a time when WW1 hasn't happened yet. On the other hand, it is equally hard to conceive that a 100 years has passed since it has ended.

But, while it has ushered in the world we live in, I don't think it should be celebrated as some kind of a heroic fight to deliver that world. The Great War was a near-constant series of bad calls and strategic mistakes on all sides, including and especially handling the aftermath. It was the end of the old world and the birth of a new one, but I'd like to think the transition could had been managed better.

Also it was a much more "grey" affair than WW2.

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 05:59:27 am »
Also it was a much more "grey" affair than WW2.

Yes, but Italy at least was 100% to blame for its parts of both wars.
You are gay.

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • LLL.Rural Poverty
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 07:14:47 am »
And the countdown to a still worse war had begun, 20 years, 9 months, 20 days before the Nazis attacked Poland. Europe in flames once more.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 07:27:33 am »
On this day my Great-Grandfather was wounded in combat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • LLL.Rural Poverty
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 07:49:32 am »

That's rather poignant, I hope the wounds weren't life changing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 08:11:49 am »

That's rather poignant, I hope the wounds weren't life changing.

Well, it killed him in the end. Course that happened in the 1950's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

• Sugar Glider
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 08:30:04 am »
Probably because the important thing for us is our elderly monarch laying a wreath at the Cenotaph; not some political riff-raff gathering in Paris  :P

Oh sure, and it was a great ceremony  :bowler:

Just surprised at there not being any representation at all. I mean, the other enemies of Europe were out in full force  :P