Author Topic: Stephen Fry to the rescue  (Read 815 times)

Delirium

• Toaster
  • Never tell me the odds!
Stephen Fry to the rescue
« on: November 10, 2018, 05:16:45 pm »
Here I have been at a loss about what is wrong in our side of the world and then comes Stephen Fry to voice my exact opinions.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LJKXJNM3W-c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The reason that Trump and Brexit in Britain and all kind of nationalists in Europe are succeding is not the triumph of the right, it is the catastrophic failure of the left. It's our fault. My point is not that I've turned to the right or anything like that or that I'm fluffy and want everybody to be decent. I'm saying fuck political correctness. Resist. Fight. If you have a point of view, fight it in the proper manner using democracy as it should be, not channels of education, not language. It's so silly. You know in chess the best move to play is not the best chess move, it's the move your opponent least wants you to play, and at the moment you're being recruiting sergents to the right by annoying and upsetting, not by fighting or persuading, political correctness is a middle course that simply does not work.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
Re: Stephen Fry to the rescue
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 05:56:47 pm »
:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:01:30 pm »
Here I have been at a loss about what is wrong in our side of the world and then comes Stephen Fry to voice my exact opinions.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LJKXJNM3W-c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The reason that Trump and Brexit in Britain and all kind of nationalists in Europe are succeding is not the triumph of the right, it is the catastrophic failure of the left. It's our fault. My point is not that I've turned to the right or anything like that or that I'm fluffy and want everybody to be decent. I'm saying fuck political correctness. Resist. Fight. If you have a point of view, fight it in the proper manner using democracy as it should be, not channels of education, not language. It's so silly. You know in chess the best move to play is not the best chess move, it's the move your opponent least wants you to play, and at the moment you're being recruiting sergents to the right by annoying and upsetting, not by fighting or persuading, political correctness is a middle course that simply does not work.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. What exactly do you mean?
You are gay.

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • LLL.Rural Poverty
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:12:47 pm »

By the logic of his argument PC isn't a middle course, it's a tool of the left to attempt to silence the right. The middle ground would appear to be engaging in debate argument and 'fight' with them?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:39:35 am »
Political correctness is just a word dicks use to complain about those who tell them not to be a dick.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 01:46:44 am »
I mean that can explain a political shift on cultural and social issues, but what does that have to do with the nationalist stuff? I mean Brexit and Trump also represent a rejection of decades of right wing orthodoxy as well.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 01:48:56 am »
Political correctness is just a word dicks use to complain about those who tell them not to be a dick.

So it doesn't exist?
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

Delirium

• Toaster
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 04:01:47 am »

Thank you for taking the time to post a smiley.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

• Toaster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 04:02:45 am »
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. What exactly do you mean?

Don't give up so soon, think it through a bit as if I could have something interesting to say.

Delirium

• Toaster
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 04:03:45 am »
By the logic of his argument PC isn't a middle course, it's a tool of the left to attempt to silence the right. The middle ground would appear to be engaging in debate argument and 'fight' with them?

You seem to misunderstand, a middle course in method, not grouping.

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 04:04:03 am »

Thank you for taking the time to post a smiley.

The right isn't on the upswing because the left foolishly told them not to say dickish things to people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Delirium

• Toaster
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 04:04:21 am »

Interesting opinion.

Delirium

• Toaster
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 04:09:20 am »
I mean that can explain a political shift on cultural and social issues, but what does that have to do with the nationalist stuff? I mean Brexit and Trump also represent a rejection of decades of right wing orthodoxy as well.

That may or may not be true but would not disqualify the statement that it is rather the left that have failed than the right having won. People may argue that the end result is the same but it does make a difference as to how we could move on.

Delirium

• Toaster
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 04:47:03 am »
The right isn't on the upswing because the left foolishly told them not to say dickish things to people.

That is what you decided in advance that the argument would be, but it is not which you would see if you took the time.

The argument is rather that the newer forms of the right are on the upswing because the newer forms of the left have decided that it is an irreproachable right of theirs to be dicks to anybody defined as a dick and if you call them on it on say, legal grounds, you are also named a dick.

Now post a new smiley.

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 04:55:29 am »

So it doesn't exist?

Pretty much.
I mean, don't call people n%#&rs or p#%is or whatever....
Well yeah?
██████
██████
██████