Author Topic: Languish Cataclysm  (Read 17210 times)

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
Languish Cataclysm
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:36:00 am »
Alright then, let's get going, The far-right is on the rise everywhere. A formerly ridiculed guy, considered all talk but no substance has just been elected to lead one of the strongest countries in the world. France and UK are hamstrung by internal troubles, can't pull their weight on the international scene, while Russia is finding its strength again and eyeing its neighbours that once were under its rule.

It's 1933.

The game is Cataclysm. Links for players and people interested
Boardgamegeek page: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125977/cataclysm-second-world-war
Rulebook: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/gmtwebsiteassets/cataclysm/CAT_Rules_FINAL_Lo-Res.pdf
Playbook: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/gmtwebsiteassets/cataclysm/CAT_Playbook_FINAL-Lo-Res.pdf
VASSAL module: http://www.vassalengine.org/mediawiki/images/d/da/Cataclysm_v1%270.vmod

I have randomly assigned the players as such:

Germany: Tamas
Japan&Italy: Habbaku
UK: Berkut
France and USA: Celedhring
USSR: Solmyr

I'll PM you guys a Dropbox link. Of course we will wait until everyone has had time to get through the rules. I think initially it's not easy to decide what to do, but the Playbook tries to help with that, and if you do feel stuck at any point during the game, just ask Habbaku what to do, he will know.

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
Re: Languish Cataclysm
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:25:03 am »
Got the vassal mod installed, reading the rulebooks... are we diving right into the full 1933 scenario?

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 06:04:41 am »
Got the vassal mod installed, reading the rulebooks... are we diving right into the full 1933 scenario?

I don't see a reason why not. :) It's going to be a learning game anyways, and IMHO there are less things to worry about in 1933 than in a full-war scenario. Apart from long-term strategy of course but that's a different story.

Berkut

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Getting ready to post on Languish
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:55:05 am »
How do I fire that Chamberlain right off?
ďIf you think this has a happy ending, then you havenít been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:03:53 am »
MacDonald was PM in 1933, iirc.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:07:16 am by celedhring »

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 08:22:19 am »
Apparently on free Dropbox you can't give edit permission to your folders.

Are you guys ok with Google Drive, or could somebody else host the folder for the Vassal file(s)?

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:02:29 am »
I'm rooting for the good guys. :)
You are gay.

Berkut

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 09:44:43 am »
MacDonald was PM in 1933, iirc.

Chamberlain was a MP though (IIRC he was in the Exchequer at the time?), and if we can fire him BEFORE he becomes PM...

In any case, he was deeply involved in the appeasement policy before he became PM. He didn't invent it.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 12:56:07 pm »
What is the over under on how many turns Berkut lasts

Habbaku

• Octogon Champion
  • Mussoloony
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »

Are you guys ok with Google Drive, or could somebody else host the folder for the Vassal file(s)?

I have free Dropbox and it lets me allow others to edit. Can you not start a semi public folder? I do that all the time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

• Octogon Champion
  • Mussoloony
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 01:50:07 pm »
I'm rooting for the good guys. :)

Your support for Japan is appreciated.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 02:20:32 pm »

I have free Dropbox and it lets me allow others to edit. Can you not start a semi public folder? I do that all the time.

Ah right by e-mail I can share edit permissions. Ok I've got Habbaku's and Berkut's. Solmyr, Celed, please PM me your e-mails.

Habbaku

• Octogon Champion
  • Mussoloony
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 05:34:31 pm »
I should be able to get the rules read and be prepped by the end of the weekend.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 05:35:54 pm »

Hey good buddy!

0 rows returned

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 06:08:29 pm »

Hey good buddy!

Should I stall you since I'm the US or beg at your feet for aid since I'm France? This is confusing.