Author Topic: US Election 2018 Thread  (Read 16732 times)

HisMajestyBOB

• Sugar Glider
  • OMG
Re: US Election 2018 Thread
« Reply #1185 on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:13 pm »
Its Florida. Who knows what will happen.

From what I'm seeing, Broward county fucked up their ballot again.

What is in the water down there.

Red algae.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help.

"Women should stay home and make babies. Preferably man-child."
"He always talks like that. He's Korean."
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #1186 on: November 09, 2018, 12:54:19 am »
Your bit of right wingers act like children of the day :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46144557
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1187 on: November 09, 2018, 07:37:14 am »
“That is what the voters wanted”

Childish yes, but also an insight into the weakness of the American system of electing judges.  The Rule of Law is hollowed out when judges are concerned about how voters want the judge to decide a case.
"You don't get to support the modern Republican Party while decrying everything that the modern Republican Party actually DOES, and those are the very things that have resulted in Trump being the face, brain, and heart of the Republicans.

There was the possibility that this was not the case, that Trump was just this anomaly of the radical right - that there was room for sane, adult Republican leadership that would have to deal with Trump and his radicalized brownshirts while still holding to true to some core of their values. That did not happen though. Instead of the Party moderating Trump, they have embraced him 100%, and are doing their best to emulate him, and they are certainly following him faithfully.

The Republican Party *IS* Donald Trump now. Not because he made them so, but because they made HIM so."  - Berkut

Berkut

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Getting ready to post on Languish
« Reply #1188 on: November 09, 2018, 07:48:58 am »
I think you are both missing the long term damage to your political system caused by Republicans needing to become Trumpists to win primaries and elections.  Not sure how long it will take the Republican party to purge itself of those people.

No no that is my concern, not his actual policies. He is pretty inept at actually passing legislation and enacting important policy decisions. And most of the truly terrible things he is doing are executive fiat type things that can be easily changed. His impact on the political culture in general, and the Republicans in particular, is the big problem.

Trump is a symptom of the problem. He isn't the problem.

Trump is the result of the last 3 decades of talking heads convincing people that they are being attacked, that their way of the life is being threatened by people intent on destroying America, that the black/brown/notquitewhiteenough people from the global conspiracy are coming to get them.

That is why spicey's claims ring so hollow. He says he doesn't like Trump (HAHHAHAHA JUST KIDDING), but he does support the Republicans absolutely, and 100% buys into their rhetoric of hatred, intolerance, and rejection of fact and reason in favor of populism and tribalism.

Trump is not the problem, he is the cancer that is the result of the right wing media baselining hatred for the last 30 years.

If you actually support Republican ideals rather than the Republican Party, then you would have no reason to support any of the modern Republican Party, because they don't espouse any of those ideals in any actual practical sense. They don't support fiscal conservatism. Or forward thinking foreign leadership. They don't advocate for good governance, or....well, anything. They just advocate for hate, intolerance, and telling each other that anyone not a radically extreme version of themselves is an Enemy of the State.

You don't get to support the modern Republican Party while decrying everything that the modern Republican Party actually DOES, and those are the very things that have resulted in Trump being the face, brain, and heart of the Republicans.

There was the possibility that this was not the case, that Trump was just this anomaly of the radical right - that there was room for sane, adult Republican leadership that would have to deal with Trump and his radicalized brownshirts while still holding to true to some core of their values. That did not happen though. Instead of the Party moderating Trump, they have embraced him 100%, and are doing their best to emulate him, and they are certainly following him faithfully.

The Republican Party *IS* Donald Trump now. Not because he made them so, but because they made HIM so.
“If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven’t been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #1189 on: November 09, 2018, 07:57:19 am »

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #1190 on: November 09, 2018, 08:05:04 am »
You are what you do, not what you think you are. And certainly not what you say you are.
You are gay.

frunk

• Sugar Glider
  • I heard Cal works in HR
« Reply #1191 on: November 09, 2018, 08:50:53 am »
Fundamentally I think the Republicans have less spine than even Berkut gives them credit for.  I don't think the leadership believes in or cares about Trump or the hatred that he spews.  They saw the couple of anti-Trump Republicans get beat up at the polls, so they said "ok, we'll ride the Trump train as long as it keeps us in power".  So they don't stand for anything other than staying in power regardless of what is said or done.

The mistake, of course, is that the Republican leadership is continuously losing power to Trump fanatics the longer Trump stays where he is and the leadership keeps defending him. 

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #1192 on: November 09, 2018, 08:53:49 am »
Fundamentally I think the Republicans have less spine than even Berkut gives them credit for.  I don't think the leadership believes in or cares about Trump or the hatred that he spews.  They saw the couple of anti-Trump Republicans get beat up at the polls, so they said "ok, we'll ride the Trump train as long as it keeps us in power".  So they don't stand for anything other than staying in power regardless of what is said or done.

The mistake, of course, is that the Republican leadership is continuously losing power to Trump fanatics the longer Trump stays where he is and the leadership keeps defending him.

I don't think the GOP becoming a far-right quasi-fascist party is in any doubt at this stage, and them staying that on the medium-term at least. The question is if they can keep hold of power as such.

It's like the Tories in the UK. The face of the party is increasingly the fringe lunatic extremes of it. They'll follow the Republicans soon.

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #1193 on: November 09, 2018, 09:36:23 am »
I agree with frunk.  At core it's a simple calculation: fear of a Trumpist primary challenge versus viability in the general election. The primary challenge is the more immediate threat so they tack Trump.

Trump has zero understanding of the constitution or how the government actually work but he has an instinctive understanding of raw power and absolutely no scruples about deploying it.  Again and again these GOP legislators are like deer in the headlights under Trump's wagging finger and shouting whine, they freeze and let Trump run right over whatever sense of dignity or principles they once had.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1194 on: November 10, 2018, 03:01:32 am »
Trump, of course, speaks of voter fraud in the tight Florida races: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46157966
Here in these streets are the things that we want: sex and birth, votes and traits, money and guilt, television and teddy bears. But all we've actually got is each other. You decide what that means.

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #1195 on: November 10, 2018, 03:30:41 am »
Trump, of course, speaks of voter fraud in the tight Florida races: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46157966

He has taken to adding another layer of shellac when it's windy.  No more golden crowing roosters.  :(
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #1196 on: November 11, 2018, 12:09:59 am »
Abrams lost because Kemp cheated. Dude purged 300 000 voters.

Well that is neither here nor there. She was talking about a runoff not a legal challenge.

Though it looks like Gillum could have a runoff in Florida if their constitution allows such a thing.

Gillum conceded last night.

I am aware. I was just saying his election appears more runoff worthy than Abrams, not that there was going to be one. Heck I don't even know if they do that sort of thing in Florida.

Hey look Gillum un-conceded so now we are off into recount land. I guess they don't do runoffs in Florida.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

jimmy olsen

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1197 on: November 11, 2018, 01:40:10 am »
Gillum has no hope, Nelson has a little hope.

Machine recount for Gillum, hand recount for Nelson.

The reason Nelson has for hope is possible, though unlikely, it could have been a machine issue that caused the under count in Broward. If so, he could actually win on that swing alone. If not, well, there'll be lots of fighting over provisional ballots rejected for signature not matching and the like.

Question to you guys, is your signature stable? Mine is, but a lot of people I know scrawl wildly different things whenever they sign something.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #1198 on: November 11, 2018, 01:42:10 am »
I'm not sure. Some features are pretty consistent and some highly variable.
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

dps

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • aa's boobs
« Reply #1199 on: November 11, 2018, 02:00:38 am »
Mine is fairly consistent when I take time to write neatly (well, neatly by my standards).  Most of the time it's just a scrawl, though.