Author Topic: The federal indictment/fake news MEGATHREAD  (Read 51213 times)

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
Re: The federal indictment/fake news MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1260 on: January 28, 2019, 10:12:43 am »
the kind of semi-open influence-peddling corruption that seems par for the course (Manafort in Ukraine)

Did you actually read his indictment? There was nothing semi-open or typical about what Manafort was doing.  He was laundering money and evading taxation on a massive scale.  With senior Russian mob bosses on the other side of the transaction.  This is worlds away from K street back scratching.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:15:02 am by The Minsky Moment »
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #1261 on: February 07, 2019, 04:51:50 pm »
Taken from Twitter:

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #1262 on: February 07, 2019, 04:56:52 pm »
Whitaker is claiming he will only testify if he get's a promise there won't be a subpoena.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1263 on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:13 pm »
Taken from Twitter:

If accurate this just shows that the deep state is biased against Republicans.  :P :tinfoil:
Here in these streets are the things that we want: sex and birth, votes and traits, money and guilt, television and teddy bears. But all we've actually got is each other. You decide what that means.

jimmy olsen

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1264 on: February 12, 2019, 06:44:51 am »
More grifters in this administration than Harding and Grant's combined!

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/04/politics/sdny-subpoena-trump-inauguration-committee/index.html

Federal prosecutors subpoena Trump inaugural committee
By Erin Burnett, Erica Orden, Gloria Borger and Caroline Kelly, CNN

Updated 1334 GMT (2134 HKT) February 5, 2019

(CNN)Federal prosecutors in New York on Monday subpoenaed President Donald Trump's inaugural committee for documents related to donors, vendors and finances, according to a copy of the subpoena reviewed by CNN, a step that appears to escalate that office's ongoing investigation of the committee's activity.

The wide-ranging subpoena from the Manhattan US attorney's office requires the committee to turn over documents related to virtually every donor or donation, attendee at a committee event, piece of paperwork related to the legal requirements attached to donations and even "the possibility of" donations made by foreign nationals.

It discloses that prosecutors are investigating a litany of potential crimes: conspiracy against the US, false statements, mail fraud, wire fraud, money laundering, inaugural committee disclosure violations, and violations of laws prohibiting contributions by foreign nations and contributions in the name of another person, also known as straw donors.

It demands documents related to any "benefits" offered to donors, including "tickets, photo opportunities, and/or small group receptions." It also requires the committee to turn over information about donations made directly to vendors, as well as communications discussing that possibility.

Federal prosecutors' investigation into the committee involves possible financial abuses related to the more than $100 million in donations raised for Trump's inauguration, CNN has reported. The prosecutor listed on the subpoena, Tom McKay, is a member of the office's public-corruption unit and was one of the lead prosecutors on the office's case against Trump's former personal attorney, Michael Cohen.

The broad demand for documents suggests that Trump and entities connected to him may face continued scrutiny by federal prosecutors, particularly in New York, even if special counsel Robert Mueller's probe winds down. ABC News first reported that the US attorney's office was prepared to issue a subpoena to the committee.

A spokesperson for the committee said Monday: "We have just received a subpoena for documents. While we are still reviewing the subpoena, it is our intention to cooperate with the inquiry."

A spokesperson for the Manhattan US attorney's office declined to comment.

Tom Barrack, the inaugural committee's chairman, also declined to comment. Barrack isn't named in the subpoena.

The investigation into the committee -- which was first reported by the Wall Street Journal in December -- involves possible financial abuses related to the more than $100 million in donations raised for Trump's inauguration, sources familiar with the matter told CNN at the time.

One source familiar with the matter told CNN in December that the investigation was in its early stages, and that investigators were generally focused on whether any inauguration money had been misspent.

The subpoena lists only two specific names: Imaad Zuberi and his investment firm, Avenue Ventures LLC. The subpoena asks for documents related to Zuberi but doesn't offer any clues as to why his donations may be of interest. Avenue Ventures donated $900,000 to the inaugural fund, Federal Election Commission records show.

"Imaad knows nothing about a subpoena, other than what's been written," Steve Rabinowitz, a spokesman for Zuberi, said Tuesday. "It's well known that after supporting President Obama and Hillary Clinton, that Imaad gave generously and directly to the Trump inaugural. But many others gave considerably more. For what it's worth, Imaad, as always, gave only his own money from his own resources. If, in fact, he is named in this subpoena -- nevermind somehow named alone -- he is bewildered why."

This story has been updated.

CNN's Fredreka Schouten, Kara Scannell and Devan Cole contributed to this report.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

• aa's boobs
« Reply #1265 on: February 12, 2019, 07:55:22 am »
More grifters in this administration than Harding and Grant's combined!

I said back before the 2016 election that we were going to get the most corrupt administration in history.

Habbaku

• Mussoloony
« Reply #1266 on: February 12, 2019, 08:50:52 am »
Was anyone paying attention (IE, not Trump cultists) not thinking we'd get a looting Presidency?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

« Reply #1267 on: February 27, 2019, 04:26:37 am »
Don't hold back, Michael, let us know what you really think.

Michael Cohen to call Donald Trump a 'racist', 'cheat' and 'conman' in first public hearing

President’s former lawyer expected to say Trump knew of Roger Stone’s contact with WikiLeaks during 2016 campaign

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #1268 on: February 27, 2019, 07:04:32 am »
The President's allies are arguing that we shouldn't believe Cohen because he's a proven liar.  That's really weird because he was convicted of repeating Trump's lies to Congress.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1269 on: February 27, 2019, 07:11:10 am »
https://www.apnews.com/a0912533d1cc439185273d84ac5ad4b4

Trump Org slams probe; Trump Jr. calls feds ‘Stalinist’

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump Organization fired back at investigations into its business Monday, demanding a House panel end its probe because of ethical conflicts.

Separately, President Donald Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., accused federal prosecutors in a “Fox & Friends” interview of resorting to “Stalinist” tactics as they investigate the president’s inaugural committee and company.

The Trump Organization said in a letter to the House Judiciary Committee that a lawyer assisting its investigation, Barry Berke, has tainted the panel’s work because he is partner at a law firm that has represented the family company for more than a quarter of a century.

In his letter to the House panel, Trump Organization lawyer Alan Futerfas said hiring Berke, a partner at Kramer Levin in New York, violates “basic ethical precepts that govern the legal profession” and his help “irreparably taints the Committee’s work.”

The letter to House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler of New York demands the panel cease its investigation and hand over all his emails, text messages and other communication with the committee.

Kramer Levin said in an emailed statement that Berke’s assistance to the committee violates no ethical rules and that the firm has worked with the Trump Organization on mostly minor tasks, such preparing amendments to offering plans for condominium sales. It said the letter “grossly misstated the facts of our prior representations.”

A spokesperson for the House Judiciary Committee majority said Berke was working for it only in his personal capacity, and the assertions in the Trump letter were “without merit.”

In his interview on Fox News, Donald Trump Jr. said the investigation is “as political as it gets.” He said the “dream” of federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York is to “try to find something to get Trump,” adding, “It’s that old Stalinist tactic, you know?”

The U.S. attorney’s office in Manhattan declined to comment. Joseph Stalin led the former Soviet Union from the mid-1920s until 1953.

Trump Jr. — who, with his brother, Eric, is helping run the family business while their father is president — also said he’s not worried about the investigations “because we know there’s nothing there.”

Prosecutors are investigating, among other potential crimes, whether foreigners illegally contributed to inaugural events in 2017.

Here in these streets are the things that we want: sex and birth, votes and traits, money and guilt, television and teddy bears. But all we've actually got is each other. You decide what that means.

The Larch

« Reply #1270 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:31 am »
As if Stalin ever needed proof of anything to whack anyone.

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #1271 on: February 27, 2019, 11:22:11 am »
The President's allies are arguing that we shouldn't believe Cohen because he's a proven liar.  That's really weird because he was convicted of repeating Trump's lies to Congress.

Of course Cohen is a proven liar, how else could he get the general counsel job for the Trump Organization?  There's a reason Trump didn't hire a reputable transactional lawyer as company counsel and hired a thuggish self-proclaimed fixer instead.  That's the kind of person he wants and needs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1272 on: February 27, 2019, 12:09:53 pm »
Meadows: Mr. Cohen, do you know Lynne Patton?

Cohen: Yes, I do.

Meadows: I asked Lynn to come today in her personal capacity to shed some light. How long have you known Ms. Patton?

Cohen: I'm responsible for Ms. Patton joining the Trump organization in the job that she currently holds.

Meadows: Well, I'm glad you acknowledge that because you made some very demeaning comments about the President that Ms. Patton doesn't agree with. In fact, it has to do with your claim of racism. She says that as a daughter of a man born in Birmingham, Alabama, that there is no way that she would work for an individual who was racist. How do you reconcile the two of those?

Cohen: And neither should I as the son of a Holocaust survivor.

Habbaku

• Mussoloony
« Reply #1273 on: February 27, 2019, 12:38:35 pm »
 :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #1274 on: February 27, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSeMvK6baK8

Permission to treat this witness as hostile, your honor.

Two Republicans undermining Cohen's credibility by referring to loan applications.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.